Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 74992
wrong mouse type assigned and problems without the mouse.
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:38:04 EDT
Steps to Reproduce:
1. have IMPS/2 mouse configured.
2. shut down, replace video card, reboot, let kudzu autoconfigure for new video
(all seems to work fine up to this point).
3. start redhat-config-xfree86. move mouse pointer - jumps because uses PS/2
4. restart redhat-config-xfree86, use keyboard only. configure different
resolution. The very last dialog appears in the corner and out of focus. Had to
kill X server. Fortunately new config file has been created by this time.
New config file has PS/2 as mouse protocol.
IMPS/2 as mouse protocol.
edited XF86Config by hand, adding IM in front of PS/2. next
redhat-config-xfree86 run is normal.
notting: kudzu runs --reconfig. This means it will throw away all current X
config, not just the gfx part. I'm not sure what to do about this.
I see two bugs here, one might be kudzu related.
1. redhat-config-xfree86 should place _all_ dialog in the middle of the screen.
This is needed for mouseless operation.
2. kudzu/redhat-config-xfree86 should consult /etc/sysconfig/mouse before
restetting X configuration. There is a variable "XMOUSETYPE" which clearly says
what kind of mouse should be used.
I fixed issue 1 in CVS. But reading the r-c-xfree86 code it looks like it's
supposed to read XMOUSETYPE from /etc/sysconfig/mouse already.
Yes, but redhat-config-xfree86 was looking for mouse.info["XMOUSETYPE"] before
it called mouse.read(), which always returned "None" for the type. Therefore it
would always default to PS/2. I've changed the code around so that we call
mouse.read() first. This should fix the problem, but it needs to be tested.
This should be fixed in redhat-config-xfree86-0.7.1-3. QA, please verify.
There is a stack of 64 bugs that have been in Modified state for a long period
of time. I am closing these as Rawhide now. If you find that the issue is not
fixed, please reopen this report.