Bug 75188 - Wrong font name in PS output
Wrong font name in PS output
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: mozilla (Show other bugs)
8.0
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Christopher Blizzard
Ben Levenson
:
: 62966 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-10-05 04:44 EDT by Tim Waugh
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:47 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-11-07 11:40:02 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
fix for bad font (952 bytes, patch)
2002-10-12 15:48 EDT, Gene Czarcinski
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description Tim Waugh 2002-10-05 04:44:13 EDT
Description of Problem: 
Mozilla uses 'Helvetica_Oblique' instead of 'Helvetica-Oblique' in PS output. 
 
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 
mozilla-1.0.1-24 
 
How Reproducible: 
100% 
 
Steps to Reproduce: 
1. Browse to www.redhat.com 
2. Print (to file mozilla.ps) 
3. grep Helvetica.Oblique mozilla.ps 
 
Actual Results: 
    /Helvetica_Oblique findfont 
 
Expected Results: 
    /Helvetica-Oblique findfont 
 
Additional Information: 
This in turn causes the jetdirectprint print filter to receive errors from 
JetDirect printer, which it isn't prepared for. 
 
In 0.9.9 at least, the object file concerned was 
/usr/lib/mozilla/components/libgfxps.so and the source file was 
gfx/src/ps/nsAFMObject.cpp, line nsAFMObject.cpp.
Comment 1 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-12 15:47:17 EDT
Yup. Got the SRPM, change the font to Helvetica-Oblique and rebuilt the rpms. 
Mozilla and galeon work fine now.

I hope an errata come on this soon.  The patch is trivial and the biggest
problem is rebuilding the rpms.
Comment 2 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-12 15:48:34 EDT
Created attachment 80145 [details]
fix for bad font
Comment 3 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-12 15:59:14 EDT
*** Bug 62966 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Christopher Blizzard 2002-10-14 23:36:40 EDT
I'm pretty sure this has already been fixed upstream.
Comment 5 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-15 00:52:35 EDT
Likely, but until that upstream product is incorporated into Red Hat's product
it leave a lot of users out in the cold.  The fix is simple and (given the huge
rebuild times) beyeond many users.  Pesonally, I fixed it.  While putting the
fix in rawhide may be a solution, it is not really a good one since may users
will not user rawhide updates.

Many printers in use are postscript printers.  Mozilla and galeon have majpor
problems without this fix.
Comment 6 Tim Waugh 2002-10-15 04:57:12 EDT
I don't think a mozilla errata would be necessary if the jetdirectprint filter 
worked properly.  But despite several requests for someone to try 'lpr 
-Phost%9100' where 'host' is hostname or IP address of the JetDirect printer, 
no-one has tried this out (or at least no-one has told me the results). 
 
If someone could *please* try that, and gets positive results, we can do a 
printconf errata for this.
Comment 7 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-15 06:22:25 EDT
I used galean to print to a file.  I then did:

  lpr -P192.168.00.200%9100

This simply "hung".  I am using LPRng for my print system.
Comment 8 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-15 06:41:49 EDT
OK, the above comment was a bit stupid!

It hung because I did not supply any file to be printed.  Here is what I got
when I did supply a file:

[genec@amber genec]$ lpr -P192.168.71.200%9100 test.ps
Status Information:
 sending job 'genec@amber+249' to 192.168.71.200%9100@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer 192.168.71.200%9100@localhost
 job 'genec@amber+249' transfer to 192.168.71.200%9100@localhost failed
  error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
  sending str '^B192.168.71.200%9100' to 192.168.71.200%9100@localhost
 error msg: 'bad printer name'

I still believe that mozilla is in error since changing the mozilla code will
fix the problem.

On the other hand, you may have something when you say that the printfilter
should handle it.

I created a print queue specifying a Unix Queue with the jetdirect address as
the server and a queue name of raw [I had previously used this method before the
jetdirect/9100 support was in linux.]

To my surprise, the pages printed fine to this queue.
Comment 9 Gene Czarcinski 2002-10-15 06:43:00 EDT
Oops, forgot to mention that the unix queue was defined as "postscript".  Since
postscript was the input, it should have passed it along.
Comment 10 Gene Czarcinski 2002-11-07 11:39:56 EST
This really should be closed since the redhat-config-printer package in rawhide
fixes the problem.

BTW, why hasn't an errata for redhat-config-printer been issued.  This seems to
me it could be a major problem for many users.
Comment 11 Christopher Blizzard 2002-11-11 13:03:54 EST
Marking rawhide.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.