Bug 75328 - Konqueror does not display Danish letters correctly
Konqueror does not display Danish letters correctly
Status: CLOSED CANTFIX
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: kdebase (Show other bugs)
8.0
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Petr Rockai
Ben Levenson
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-10-07 06:34 EDT by Bo Bichel Nxrbfk
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:47 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-10-18 14:09:49 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Bo Bichel Nxrbfk 2002-10-07 06:34:58 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper: 
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3; Linux) 
 
Description of problem: 
For many Danish web sites, Konqueror does not display the last three letters 
of the Danish alphabet (those called æ, ø and å in HTML) 
correctly. It also does not display full stops and the like correctly. All of 
the mentioned characters are displayed as squares. 
 
However, I am perfectly well able to type Danish letters into form fields of 
Danish web sites and get them submitted correctly, although the letters are 
also displayed as squares in the form fields. 
 
On the Bugzilla page I am using right now to submit this bug report, Danish 
letters are displayed correctly if I try to type them: f (&aelig), x (&oslash) 
e (&aring). 
 
Konqueror also displays the full stops on these Bugzilla pages correctly. 
 
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 
3.0.3-13 
 
How reproducible: 
Always 
 
Steps to Reproduce: 
1. Open http://www.berlingske.dk with Konqueror. 
	 
 
Actual Results:  See description. 
 
Expected Results:  That the last three letters + full stops and the like are 
displayed as such. 
 
Additional info: 
 
No problems with other applications in KDE, neither KDE nor non-KDE 
applications. Danish letters work correctly in Netscape and Opera.
Comment 1 Bo Bichel Nxrbfk 2002-10-08 07:11:58 EDT
No problems either with the kdebase binaries of Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ships with
KDE 3.0.3 like Red Hat Linux 8.0) or FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE (ships with KDE 3.0.0
like Red Hat Linux 7.3).
Comment 2 Ngo Than 2002-10-08 15:48:52 EDT
It's perhaps a problem in utf8. If you set Encodings to ISO8859-15 in konqueror
menu, it should be displayed correct.
Comment 3 Bo Bichel Nxrbfk 2002-10-11 12:38:00 EDT
I tried that (and also ISO8859-1), but that did not help.
Comment 4 Bo Bichel Nxrbfk 2002-11-03 17:23:33 EST
After having made some cleanup on my three machines at home, 
the bug seems to have almost disappeared. I will call my 
machines A, B and C here. 
 
On machine A, the bug still appears SOMETIMES on SOME Danish 
web sites. On machines B and C, the bug does not appear anymore. 
 
On machine A, I have done the following: 
 
1. Made a fresh install of Red Hat Linux 8.0. Installed 
   everything. 
2. Upgraded to KDE 3.0.4 by means of the KDE 3.0.4-1 RPMs that 
   ftp.kde.org provides for Red Hat 8.0. 
 
On machines B and C, I have done the following: 
 
1. Made a fresh install of Red Hat Linux 7.3. Installed 
   everything. 
2. Upgraded to Red Hat Linux 8.0 when it came out. Installed/ 
   upgraded everything. 
3. Upgraded to KDE 3.0.4 by means of the same RPMs as above. 
4. Removed all RPMs which were left over from Red Hat Linux 7.3. 
   (I found these by saying "rpm -qa | sort > filename.txt" on 
   machines A and B, then making a diff on the two resulting 
   files. Analogously for machines A and C.) 
 
I have used the following web sites for testing: 
 
- http://www.berlingske.dk 
- http://www.dmi.dk/vejr 
Comment 5 Bo Bichel Nxrbfk 2002-11-05 06:29:02 EST
On mashine A, my /etc/sysconfig/i18n contained: 
 
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" 
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16" 
 
On machines B and C, it contains: 
 
LANG="en_GB.iso885915" 
SYSFONT="lat0-sun16" 
SYSFONTACM="iso15" 
 
After changing /etc/sysconfig/i18n to this on machine A, 
Danish characters in Konqueror work on machine A too. 
Comment 6 Ngo Than 2002-11-07 18:21:19 EST
It's utf8 issue, i hope it will be fixed in new release of qt-3.1/kde-3.1
Comment 7 Petr Rockai 2006-07-17 14:31:58 EDT
This bug is reported against old release of Red Hat Linux or Fedora Core 
that is no longer supported. Chances are that it has been already fixed in 
newer Fedora Core release. If you still experience the problem with 
current release of Fedora Core, please update the Version field (you may 
need to switch Product to Fedora Core first) in the bug report and put it 
back to NEW state.
Comment 8 Bill Nottingham 2006-10-18 14:09:49 EDT
Red Hat Linux is no longer supported by Red Hat, Inc. If you are still
running Red Hat Linux, you are strongly advised to upgrade to a
current Fedora Core release or Red Hat Enterprise Linux or comparable.
Some information on which option may be right for you is available at
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/redhatlinux/.

Red Hat apologizes that these issues have not been resolved yet. We do
want to make sure that no important bugs slip through the cracks.
If this issue is still present in a current Fedora Core release, please
open a new bug with the relevant information.

Closing as CANTFIX.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.