Bug 75847 - LANG=da_DK.UTF-8 breaks filesystem, konqueror etc.
LANG=da_DK.UTF-8 breaks filesystem, konqueror etc.
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: distribution (Show other bugs)
8.0
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Bill Nottingham
Brock Organ
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-10-13 19:38 EDT by Need Real Name
Modified: 2014-03-16 22:31 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-03-01 15:50:26 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2002-10-13 19:38:57 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830

Description of problem:
I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my PC as a non-upgrade, but keeping my /home
directory. Now all files that included special Danish characters like fxeFXE are
not displayed correctly in konsole, but worse: I can't handle any of these files
in Konqueror, not even rename them. Directories, in which these Danish
characters are used, I cannot enter. A large part of my personal files are now
inaccessible.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Red Hat 7.3.
2. Create a directory named Tfsk
3. Install Red Hat 8.0
4. The directory is now marked as read-only and cannot be entered, renamed,
deleted etc. using konqueror, and /bin/ls doesn't show the directory name
correctly any more.

Actual Results:  [lars@tera Dokumenter]$ ls
?blekage ?llebr?d ?lsg?rde


Expected Results:  [lars@tera Dokumenter]$ ls
Fblekage Xllebrxd Elsgerde

Additional info:

Export LANG=da_DK.iso8859-1 solves the problem, but most of my users don't know
how to do that. I see two solutions: 1) Make iso8859-1 filenames show correctly
again, or 2) Deliver a tool that can convert an iso8859-1 filesystem into an
UTF-8 filesystem. I rated it with severity=High, because this bug means loss of
data.
Comment 1 Need Real Name 2002-10-14 06:08:41 EDT
I just noted that the special danish characters, that I used in the bug report, are not included in 
the bug description any more. The characters that appear as fxeFXE in the bug report, are the 
ISO 8859-1 characters 197, 198, 216, 229, 230, 248.
Comment 2 Björn Jacke 2003-08-01 16:43:49 EDT
that's something which cannot be fixed. Under Unix all file names are in
the encoding in which you are currently running. So your old files are in
the latin1 encoding and ar invalid in UTF-8 locales. There is however a
program which you can use to convert your filenames to UTF-8 (or any other 
encoding).
Take a look at http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/
I think RedHat should also do a convmv RPM for the disribution.
Comment 3 Bill Nottingham 2005-03-01 15:50:26 EST
Closing bugs on older, no longer supported releases. Apologies for any lack of
response.

As the previous comment states, things are more or less working as expected here.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.