From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20021003
Description of problem:
I'm trying to setup printing from my Red Hat 8.0 box to a windows machine with
an Epson C80 printer. All seems to go fine until I try to print a test page.
Invariably the last portion of the page gets truncated. The odd thing is that it
seems to be appx the last 256 kb of output. I tested this by specifying several
resolution settings in the printer config tool. If I specify a low resolution
setting, e.g. 360x180, and watch the print spooler on the windows box, I see a
print job gets generated of about 500-600 kb and the printing stops about
halfway thru printing the red hat logo. However if I specify a higher
resolution, e.g. 720x720, the spooler shows a print job of about 1.5-2.0 Mb and
the printer completes the logo, prints the example color boxes, and gets most of
the way thru the explanation about "the boxes bordering this page, etc..." but
doesn't finish at the bottom.
I'm not smart enough to debug where in the process the problems are occurring:
lprng, magicfilter, mf_wrapper, gimp-print-ijs, samba, smbprint, printconf-gui,
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
2. Edit printer driver options dealing with Ghostscript Resolution and Quality.
3.Print the US Letter Postscript test page to your SMB shared printer.
Actual Results: Watch in wonder as the gigantic print jobs run almost to
completion before crapping out, while the dinky little jobs quit almost immediately.
Expected Results: Print jobs should go to completion, rendering the entire
page, and the resolution settings should have no effect.
I've checked a few more things. First, I was able to look at the test page
(/usr/share/printconf/tests/testpage.ps) using gs, so I think that rules out
ghostscript. Second, I used the printer system switcher to change from lprng to
cups. When I ran the test, I got the cups test page, but it again craps out
about half way thru printing the page.
Try using smbclient to print the file directly to the Windows share. Does that
This sounds like a samba-level problem.
No response for a long time, closing.