Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 76366
Evolution error "Cannot initialize the Evolution shell. Database configuration file not found" (or something like that)
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:38:04 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.6 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020830
Description of problem:
Running in a stock RH KDE. Evolution will not start after launching, instead
returns the error "Cannot initialize the Evolution shell. Database configuration
file not found" (or something like that). On my system, a reboot will fix the
problem, but a login and out will not.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Login to gnome as root or regular user, run Evolution.
2.Log out, then login as a different user to KDE (maybe gnome too, I haven't
3.Try to execute Evolution, error message pops up.
4. Reboot, login as same user that couldn't run Evolution previously, run
Evolution, no problem.
Ximian's solutions (URL above) don't seem to be very useful to the average user,
and they don't seem to apply to RH8 anyway, so I haven't been able to test them.
When this happens can you run wombat from a terminal successfully? If that
works, can you attach the output of `ls -lR /tmp/orbit-username*' and then see
if removing /tmp/orbit-username fixes the problem?
Created attachment 81226 [details]
Terminal output of ls -lR /tmp/orbit-username
I can run wombat after I get the Evolution error message. And if I remove the
/tmp/orbit-p directory, Evolution fires up just fine. So what's up with that?
It seems that deleting the tmp/orbit-username directory has the side effect of
causing gedit to crash on startup. Logging out and then back in fixes that problem.
I have this problem also. Here is some additional information. The problem
occurs when I run evolution, iconify it, and log out WITHOUT EXITING evolution.
If I then login again and start evolution, I get the "Cannot initialize the
Evolution shell. Database configuration file not found" message. I can produce
this reliably 100% of the time on one machine and never on another.
When the problem occurs oafd is running, wombat is not running. Killing oafd
solves the problem. So does removing /tmp/orbit-user. A workaround I have used
is to put "killall oafd 2>/dev/null" in ~/.bash_profile.
Haven't seen with newer orbit/oaf/evolution in rawhide