From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830
Description of problem:
On one of my boxes konsole is unusable, first fonts are nearly unreadable,
second refresh does not take place correctly, third
when you type "abc" it displays "a b c". Strangely: when a program writes "abc"
then it displays "abc".
On another box everything is normal. Differences between them: the nonworking
one is using french locales (the working one is using US ones), possibly has
different fonts and is using an S3 card while the other has an Nvidia.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.On the non working box just fire konsole
perhaps you should setup the font in konsole, for example Lucidatywriter or
Monospace. It should fix this problem.
I made a vanilla "desktop install". And I didn't get a usable configuration.
This is a bug. It could be not a KDE bug but an anaconda or config bug however
it is still a bug.
BTW there was mistake in my report: non working box is also using US locales.
More precisely I was using LANG=en_US.UTF-8. Couldn't be a problem with the
handling of Unifix?
I also changed fonts and most of them didn't work. One of the typewriter fonts
did but I cannot say its looks are good enough for showing it to Windows people.
I also notice that all KDE menus (not only konsole) look crappy (KDE in 7.3
looked good) and that there is a distinct delay each time a KDE application has
to open a menu (KDE in 7.3 did that instataneously) even when I redo it a second
later. It is not a problem of lack of memory since there is no disk activity.
Looks more like the KDE application is reparsing fonts each time I try to open a
I consider perfectly acceptable to get "Rawhide" or "will have to wait for 8.1"
as an answer since there is a solution (using other fonts).
But I think that when user selects a canned installation (desktop in my case),
does zero post install customizations and still gets an unusable konsole then
the defaults are wrong and should be changed. In other words it is abug Thus it
is not right to answer "NOT A BUG"
a workaround to this problem you should change LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to
en_US.iso885915 in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.
It should work as in 7.3.
Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Powertools are currently no longer supported by Red
Hat, Inc. In an effort to clean up bugzilla, we are closing all bugs in MODIFIED
state for these products.
However, we do want to make sure that nothing important slips through the
cracks. If, in fact, these issues are not resolved in a current Fedora Core
Release (such as Fedora Core 5), please open a new issues stating so. Thanks.