Bug 767657 - RFE: please update to 3.99.5 final SP03
Summary: RFE: please update to 3.99.5 final SP03
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: ctapi-cyberjack
Version: 17
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
unspecified
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Patrick C. F. Ernzer
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 891371
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2011-12-14 15:47 UTC by Piergiorgio Sartor
Modified: 2013-08-01 20:10 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
: 891371 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-08-01 20:10:15 UTC
Type: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Piergiorgio Sartor 2011-12-14 15:47:26 UTC
Description of problem:

REINER SCT has released version 3.99.5 SP03 of their driver.

Apart from having likely some fixes and updates, it compiles without issues or patches under F15.

Not sure about the tools, those I did not tried, but the driver itself does compile and does work.

It would be cool to have the updated version officially available in Fedora.

Thanks a lot in advance,

bye,

pg

Comment 1 Patrick C. F. Ernzer 2012-02-26 02:21:28 UTC
privately owning a Reiner SCT reader, I've just cobbled together an RPM, but at the moment I can no more than confirm that pcsc_scan sees the reader and some bank cards I plugged in. I hope to have a card to play with soon.

questions to Piergiorgio;
- so far I only looked at the PC/SC side, do you use CT-API at all?
- if yes, natively or with a wrapper?

note: I am not the maintainer of the package, and I am not yet up to speed with regards to how CT-API is supposed to be used with 3.99.5 SP03

Comment 2 Piergiorgio Sartor 2012-02-26 08:58:34 UTC
Hi Patrick,

(In reply to comment #1)
> privately owning a Reiner SCT reader, I've just cobbled together an RPM, but at
> the moment I can no more than confirm that pcsc_scan sees the reader and some
> bank cards I plugged in. I hope to have a card to play with soon.

yeah, me too, but see below...

> questions to Piergiorgio;
> - so far I only looked at the PC/SC side, do you use CT-API at all?

The current (3.99.5 SP03) driver from Reiner is PC/SC only, the CT-API was removed some time ago. So I'm only using the first option.
This seems to work with "moneyplex" (http://www.matrica.de/produkte/produktmpx.html), but not with "gnucash", which uses "aqbanking", which, in turns, uses CT-API.

> - if yes, natively or with a wrapper?

I'm looking into a wrapper, I found something (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcsc-ctapi/), but no real time to test it (actually to really understand how to use it).
If you have any other solution, for wrapping, please let me know.

> note: I am not the maintainer of the package, and I am not yet up to speed with
> regards to how CT-API is supposed to be used with 3.99.5 SP03

It is not supposed, as mentioned above. Another solution would be to change "aqbanking" to use CT-API, but this seems far away too.

bye,

pg

Comment 3 Patrick C. F. Ernzer 2012-02-27 13:14:26 UTC
Hi Piergiorgio,

(In reply to comment #2)
> Hi Patrick,
> 
> (In reply to comment #1)
[...]
> > questions to Piergiorgio;
> > - so far I only looked at the PC/SC side, do you use CT-API at all?
> 
> The current (3.99.5 SP03) driver from Reiner is PC/SC only, the CT-API was
> removed some time ago. So I'm only using the first option.

Thanks for confirming. Was not 100% sure but the more I searched on the w-e, the more I got the impression that CT-API was removed. This means I can stop searching and get to finishing the cleanup of my spec file and find the old maintainer.

> This seems to work with "moneyplex"
> (http://www.matrica.de/produkte/produktmpx.html), but not with "gnucash", which
> uses "aqbanking", which, in turns, uses CT-API.

Odd, http://www.onlinebanking-forum.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=79563#79563 says AqBanking should work in PC/SC mode as well. Might be worth a try. Apologies about the link being in German.

> > - if yes, natively or with a wrapper?
> 
> I'm looking into a wrapper, I found something
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcsc-ctapi/), but no real time to test it
> (actually to really understand how to use it).
> If you have any other solution, for wrapping, please let me know.

Sadly not, the one above is also what I stumbled across. http://www.willuhn.de/wiki/doku.php?id=support:list:kartenleser:pcsc:fedora (again a German one) leads me to believe that in your banking software of choice you'd use the .so from pcsc-ctapi as driver, nothing more.
> 
> > note: I am not the maintainer of the package, and I am not yet up to speed with
> > regards to how CT-API is supposed to be used with 3.99.5 SP03
> 
> It is not supposed, as mentioned above. Another solution would be to change
> "aqbanking" to use CT-API, but this seems far away too.

I presume you typoed and meant PC/SC. If yes, then as per above, you might want to have another try.

Do note that my primary application for the reader will not be on-line banking.

Comment 4 Piergiorgio Sartor 2012-02-27 18:59:28 UTC
Hi Patrick,

(In reply to comment #3)
[...]
> Thanks for confirming. Was not 100% sure but the more I searched on the w-e,
> the more I got the impression that CT-API was removed. This means I can stop
> searching and get to finishing the cleanup of my spec file and find the old
> maintainer.

getting the driver officially in Fedora would be cooooool!!!!
 
> Odd, http://www.onlinebanking-forum.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=79563#79563 says
> AqBanking should work in PC/SC mode as well. Might be worth a try. Apologies
> about the link being in German.

Interesting, I remember I was reading exactly the opposite and the suggestion of using a wrapper. I might be remembering wrongly, of course.
One fact is that "gnucash" did not see the card reader or the card itself, while "moneyplex" was working without issues.

> > I'm looking into a wrapper, I found something
> > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcsc-ctapi/), but no real time to test it
> > (actually to really understand how to use it).
> > If you have any other solution, for wrapping, please let me know.
> 
> Sadly not, the one above is also what I stumbled across.
> http://www.willuhn.de/wiki/doku.php?id=support:list:kartenleser:pcsc:fedora
> (again a German one) leads me to believe that in your banking software of
> choice you'd use the .so from pcsc-ctapi as driver, nothing more.

It might be wise, you you like, to pack the wrapper too, somewhere, in some .spec file.

> > It is not supposed, as mentioned above. Another solution would be to change
> > "aqbanking" to use CT-API, but this seems far away too.
> 
> I presume you typoed and meant PC/SC. If yes, then as per above, you might want
> to have another try.

Yep, I swapped.
I'll give it a try again, to see if "gnucash" can get some info from the reader.

> Do note that my primary application for the reader will not be on-line banking.

Just out of curiosity, what would it be?

BTW, do you know where one can get the cards themselves (apart from banking) to use as, for example, authentication token?
How about the card delivered with the device reader? Is it of any use?

Thanks,

bye,

pg

Comment 5 Patrick C. F. Ernzer 2012-02-28 10:10:57 UTC
Hi,

(In reply to comment #4)
[...]
> getting the driver officially in Fedora would be cooooool!!!!

Note, while I work at Red Hat and am a Fedora package maintainer for two packages, I am not a developer. So no promises if and when it makes it in.

> It might be wise, you you like, to pack the wrapper too, somewhere, in some
> .spec file.

http://www.pcfe.net/pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03/pcsc-ctapi-wrapper-0.3-1.fc16.src.rpm but it's really nothing more than a make and a single install line.

[...]
> > Do note that my primary application for the reader will not be on-line banking.
> 
> Just out of curiosity, what would it be?

Next thing I plan to try is an OpenPGP SmartCard V2 should have it in a couple of days. I expect to know by the end of March if this is working or not. And then, a lot further down the road, one day I want to play with dogtag. The main reason for me to get the reader was that I wanted a challenging toy ;-)

> BTW, do you know where one can get the cards themselves (apart from banking) to
> use as, for example, authentication token?

My OpenPGP card I ordered from the fine people at kernel concept in Germany.

> How about the card delivered with the device reader? Is it of any use?

My reader's been lying around a while (as challenging toys tend to), so I am not sure if there was a smartcard in my retail package. What does your report as on pcsc_scan?

Comment 6 Piergiorgio Sartor 2012-03-04 17:36:10 UTC
Hi Patrick,

(In reply to comment #5)
[...]
> Note, while I work at Red Hat and am a Fedora package maintainer for two
> packages, I am not a developer. So no promises if and when it makes it in.

I think that's OK, I mean, a maintainer is needed in order to keep Fedora up to date.

> http://www.pcfe.net/pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03/pcsc-ctapi-wrapper-0.3-1.fc16.src.rpm
> but it's really nothing more than a make and a single install line.

Thanks, I'll have a look to it.

Is it planned for Fedora too?

[...]
> My reader's been lying around a while (as challenging toys tend to), so I am
> not sure if there was a smartcard in my retail package. What does your report
> as on pcsc_scan?

Well, "pcsc_scan" does not recognize it.
It seems it understand only the bank cards, even eGK (elektronische Gesundheitskarte) is unknown.

bye,

pg

Comment 7 Fedora End Of Life 2012-08-07 16:13:54 UTC
This message is a notice that Fedora 15 is now at end of life. Fedora
has stopped maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora 15. It is
Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no
longer maintained. At this time, all open bugs with a Fedora 'version'
of '15' have been closed as WONTFIX.

(Please note: Our normal process is to give advanced warning of this
occurring, but we forgot to do that. A thousand apologies.)

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, feel free to reopen
this bug and simply change the 'version' to a later Fedora version.

Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we were unable to fix it before Fedora 15 reached end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora, you are encouraged to click on
"Clone This Bug" (top right of this page) and open it against that
version of Fedora.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.

The process we are following is described here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping

Comment 8 Piergiorgio Sartor 2012-08-16 19:05:25 UTC
Hi,

I just re-opened with F-17 as version.

I hope it is not a problem.

Thanks,

bye,

pg

Comment 9 Patrick C. F. Ernzer 2012-10-14 17:03:24 UTC
no, that is absolutely fine and what I would have done too

I have very little time at the moment, sorry.

While I did build a F17 package, something seems broken. This needs more work and that needs more time :-( you can follow Bug 811330 for progress on the package.

[pcfe@morn cyberjack-testing]$ pcsc_scan 
PC/SC device scanner
V 1.4.17 (c) 2001-2009, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau@free.fr>
Compiled with PC/SC lite version: 1.7.4
SCardEstablishContext: Service not available.

[pcfe@morn cyberjack-testing]$ sudo /usr/bin/systemctl status pcscd.service
pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; static)
	  Active: active (running) since Sun, 14 Oct 2012 18:52:45 +0200; 2min 8s ago
	Main PID: 6151 (pcscd)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
		  └ 6151 /usr/sbin/pcscd --foreground --auto-exit

Oct 14 18:52:45 morn.internal.pcfe.net pcscd[6151]: 00000000 utils.c:53:GetDaemonPid() Can't open /...ory
Oct 14 18:52:45 morn.internal.pcfe.net pcscd[6151]: CYBERJACK: Started

If you want to have a poke, you'll find them at 
http://www.pcfe.net/pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03/

I hope to get to look again at this in one of the next couple week-ends

Comment 10 Patrick C. F. Ernzer 2012-10-21 16:28:53 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
[...]
> While I did build a F17 package, something seems broken.
[...]

turns out the card I was using to test is at fault.
- pcsc_scan with a 'GnuPG card V2' works. Card is detected just fine
- cyberjack also reports no errors with a 'GnuPG card V2' card

Piergiorgio: could you please give the packages a try, with a known working card, and report how it works for you?

Comment 11 Piergiorgio Sartor 2012-10-22 18:51:15 UTC
Hi Patrick,

I tried the package, it seems working, pscs_scan returns correct information.

Hope to see the package if the official repo ASAP!!! :-)

Thanks for the effort!

bye,

pg

Comment 12 Fedora Update System 2013-01-02 18:00:33 UTC
pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-10.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-10.fc17

Comment 13 Fedora Update System 2013-01-03 07:23:11 UTC
pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-10.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 testing repository.

Comment 14 Fedora Update System 2013-01-21 09:56:00 UTC
pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-11.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-11.fc17

Comment 15 Frank Ansari 2013-02-15 22:00:50 UTC
I have tried pcsc-cyberjack on Fedora 18. Unfortunately it does not work the way it should.

The version I installed is pcsc-cyberjack-3.99.5final.SP03-11.fc18.x86_64.rpm.

It works when I run "pcscd -f -a -d" from the command line.

But using systemd "systemctl start pcscd.service" the service starts but is not available.

root@bat Download]# pcsc_scan
PC/SC device scanner
V 1.4.17 (c) 2001-2009, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau@free.fr>
Compiled with PC/SC lite version: 1.8.4
SCardEstablishContext: Service not available.

So moneyplex cannot connect to the service.

/usr/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service seems to be OK:

[Unit]
Description=PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
Requires=pcscd.socket

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pcscd --foreground --auto-exit
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/pcscd --hotplug

[Install]
Also=pcscd.socket

The status of the service also looks OK to me:

[root@bat Download]# systemctl status pcscd.service
pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; static)
	  Active: active (running) since Fri 2013-02-15 22:59:06 CET; 4s ago
	Main PID: 18438 (pcscd)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
		  └─18438 /usr/sbin/pcscd --foreground --auto-exit

Feb 15 22:59:06 bat.localdomain systemd[1]: Started PC/SC Smart Card Daemon.
Feb 15 22:59:06 bat.localdomain pcscd[18438]: 00000000 utils.c:53:GetDaemonPid() Can't open /var/run/pcscd/pcscd.pid: No such file or directory
Feb 15 22:59:06 bat.localdomain pcscd[18438]: CYBERJACK: Started

So is this an issue of systemd or of pcscd?

Comment 16 Frank Ansari 2013-02-16 16:11:07 UTC
Strange. Now it is working. I have changed nothing (except new boot).

Also the message about the pid is gone.

root@bat ~]# systemctl status pcscd.service
pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; static)
	  Active: active (running) since Sat 2013-02-16 17:09:31 CET; 1s ago
	Main PID: 3587 (pcscd)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
		  └─3587 /usr/sbin/pcscd --foreground --auto-exit

Feb 16 17:09:31 bat.localdomain systemd[1]: Started PC/SC Smart Card Daemon.
Feb 16 17:09:31 bat.localdomain pcscd[3587]: CYBERJACK: Started

Comment 17 Frank Ansari 2013-03-10 15:42:13 UTC
One hint: I just installed a new PC and I found that moneyplex was not able to access the card after installing the driver.

It worked without any problems after a reboot. It seems to me that after installing everything and starting the pcscd service a reboot is necessary. Maybe it is really some other action which should be done but I don't know about this step. So I do a reboot and then it works.

Comment 18 Fedora End Of Life 2013-07-04 07:46:36 UTC
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '17'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Bug Reporter:  Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you 
would still like  to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version  of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

Comment 19 Fedora End Of Life 2013-08-01 20:10:26 UTC
Fedora 17 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2013-07-30. Fedora 17 is 
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further 
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.

If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of 
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.

Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.