Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 77346
PCMCIA cards are not found during installation
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:48:10 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR
Description of problem:
After installing RH 8.0 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT, my pcmcia hardward
is not loaded, and not detected by kudzu when the system reboots. This causes
me to have no network connections on my laptop.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Load RH 8.0
2. Run kudzu
Actual Results: RH 8.0 loads, but the pcmcia cards are not found
Expected Results: The pcmcia cards should have loaded
PCMCIA detection is done in the installer.
What hardware do you have which is not being detected?
This sounds like a hotplug issue when you reboot.
Both of the following cards were not detected at the time of install or after
subsequent reboots: XIRCOM CEM56-100, 3Com Etherlink III (3c589D). It appears
as though it doesn't see the pcmcia slots. I do not have this problem when I
have loaded RH 7.3 .
Do you have anything in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia?
The /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file has the following:
Hm, that's supposed to be detected and set up by anaconda. What does /sbin/probe
PCI bridge probe: not found.
Intel PCIC probe: not found.
Databook TCIC-2 probe: not found.
Anything new regarding this problem? Should I attempt to reload RH 8.0?
Created attachment 85904 [details]
Anaconda dump file
The attached anaconda dump file occurred after I reloaded RH 7.3 then attempted
to do an upgrade installation to RH 8.0.
The latest problem you reported is due to a bad CD.
Closing dur to inactivity, please reopen if you have additional information to add.
I have tried different media, that passed the media test in the RH 8.0
installation. I have used different pcmcia cards, and different slots on the
laptop, and still the pcmcia controller is not found at installation, or with
kudzu after the laptop loads.
This was a bug in the kernel-pcmcia-cs that shipped in 8.0. The probing code was
broken, so if you had a non-cardbus socket, it wouldn't be found. This should be
fixed in the next rawhide version of anaconda.