After upgrading to Redhat 6.1 from 6.0, I started noticing that the time
kept slipping. When it reboots, the time is correct but it starts losing
seconds immediately.... to the point where it can lose an hour or so a day.
I have all of the updates, including gnome, and I am running the newest
enlightenment. I also use vmware with Linux as host. I am not exactly
certain when this problem occurred but I suspect that 1 of the 3 (upgrade,
vmware, new enlightenment) may be the culprit.
I also guessed at the file "time" as the one causing the problem.
Losing time is most likely a kernel problem, changing component
I have since changed laptops (upgraded to an updated model) and still have the
same problem. I went from a Chembook 7400 to a 7400-B (Asus F-7400 to F-7400B).
This could be caused by the laptop loosing time while it is suspended. Does the
time loss happen all at once or can you actually watch it happen while the
system is in use?
You can watch it happen.... It loses time every minute...but nothing consistant
that can be adjusted... at least the last time I tried months ago. I currently
update my time through ntpdate cron every hour. I used to do it every minute
since the loss was so bad.
Here are 8 hours worth of ntpdate updates:
1 Sep 20:01:47 ntpdate: step time server 220.127.116.11 offset 106.667959
1 Sep 21:01:48 ntpdate: step time server 18.104.22.168 offset 106.906458
1 Sep 22:01:48 ntpdate: step time server 22.214.171.124 offset 107.019308
1 Sep 23:01:48 ntpdate: step time server 126.96.36.199 offset 106.444481
2 Sep 00:01:47 ntpdate: step time server 188.8.131.52 offset 105.636691
2 Sep 01:01:46 ntpdate: step time server 184.108.40.206 offset 105.362106
2 Sep 02:01:55 ntpdate: step time server 220.127.116.11 offset 113.298043
2 Sep 03:01:47 ntpdate: step time server 18.104.22.168 offset 105.456529
From what I remember, most of these issues listed above were related to VMWARE
module and time in the 2.2. kernel. It was something dealing with APM, VMWARE,
and other 2.2 issues. The problem might be fixed in later VMWARE issues, but it
is not a Red Hat problem but a closed source module problem.