Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 77918
Unable to shutdown from logout dialog
Last modified: 2013-07-02 18:57:21 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020826
Description of problem:
On Oct 23 (or there-abouts) I ftp'd down the latest RPM updates and installed
them on my installation. From that point on the shutdown and reboot options
ceased to work on the logout dialogue.
Also any application that required authentication no longer worked - no errors
or log messages. Only way to run them was to su to root and run them from the shell.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
I don't want to reinstall my system to test if I can reproduce the situation,
but needless to say that I can demonstrate the problem on my current set-up on
1. Attempt to shutdown from gnome logout dialogue (from redhat/gnome menu).
2. Select 'print-conf-gui' from redhat/gnome menu or run from shell.
Actual Results: 1. System logs out, back to X login dialogue.
2. Nothing happens, no errors reported or logged in /var/log/ files.
Expected Results: 1. Machine should have shutdown.
2. application should have launched.
This has also happened with an installation of Redhat 7.3 on an Athlon system.
I do not use 'up2date' because I do not have these machines connected to the
internet, so I have to ferry any updated RPMs from another machine and the
problems only started to occur once I did several updates.
Works for me, and no other reports of this; what might be
different about your system? Changed any pam or other configuration?
Nothing special about my configuration, no pam changes at all (I don't even know
where to start with that one).
However, I have recently recompiled all of the src RPMs for my pentium 4 (yes
*all* of them) and for a short while, during the replacement procedure, the
problem went away. I think it was when I re-done the kernel stuff the problem
re-occurred, but I can't be certain. For your info I've got 'everything' installed.
Basically from my experience with both 7.3 and 8.0 this problem pops up when
installing new RPMs from the updates site, so I think there's some kinda
conflict between two RPMs - like a file being overwritten (or a chmod).
Maybe, however I wasn't able to reproduce it any more and I see no
other bug reports for this issue. I'm closing this.
Thanks for the bugreport.