Bug 784314 - ifconfig output format changed
Summary: ifconfig output format changed
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: net-tools
Version: 19
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jiri Popelka
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2012-01-24 14:49 UTC by nucleo
Modified: 2013-08-22 08:48 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-08-22 08:48:52 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description nucleo 2012-01-24 14:49:14 UTC
Description of problem:
ifconfig output format changed in F17.
Is this changes made intentionally or this is a bug?

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
net-tools-1.60-133.20120119git.fc17.x86_64
  
Actual results (F17):
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500  metric 1
        inet 172.17.17.17  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 172.17.17.255
        inet6 fe80::5054:ff:fe3f:c083  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 52:54:00:3f:c0:83  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 339806  bytes 317184647 (302.4 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 158189  bytes 14694182 (14.0 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0


Expected results (as in F16):
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 52:54:00:A3:98:1B  
          inet addr:172.17.17.15  Bcast:172.17.17.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::5054:ff:fea3:981b/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:678733 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:176576 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:362735982 (345.9 MiB)  TX bytes:15404448 (14.6 MiB)

Comment 1 Jiri Popelka 2012-01-24 15:23:38 UTC
I updated net-tools in rawhide to upstream git snapshot.
The reason was to finally sync after 10 years of diversion from upstream.
This step allowed me to remove almost all of 100 net-tools' patches we had had in our versioning system. I'm cooperating with upstream on merging the rest of the Fedora patches.

So yes, this change has been intentional.
I know the ifconfig output is quite different but it's more like 'ip addr' output now.

I'll leave this bug open because you're most likely not the only one wondering.

Comment 2 nucleo 2012-01-24 15:33:45 UTC
Is there any risk to broke old software that uses old ifconfig output format?

Comment 3 Jiri Popelka 2012-01-24 16:01:29 UTC
Sure there is. But net-tools has been deprecated for a long time and important components should be already ported to iproute2. Namely initscripts should be ifconfig-free since the following commits:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=commitdiff;h=6f6830b700f33172e33db32f12e9bfef3a7f7989
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=commitdiff;h=b5a510d2558d333624dac456790d667e3e7f0570

Comment 4 Jiri Popelka 2012-01-27 12:14:05 UTC
I've just noted that the new output is similar to the ifconfig output on Solaris and *BSD, so that was probably the main reason for the change (which is BTW over 8 years old [1]).

[1] http://net-tools.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=net-tools/net-tools;a=commitdiff;h=eb04ef31571f6c707eacaba6846feeebfab518e6

Comment 5 nucleo 2012-01-27 12:20:42 UTC
ifconfig outpiut in F17:

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500  metric 1
        inet 172.17.17.17  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 172.17.17.255
        inet6 fe80::5054:ff:fe3f:c083  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 52:54:00:3f:c0:83  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 696290  bytes 662497816 (631.8 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 291773  bytes 25441430 (24.2 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

ifconfig outpiut in FreeBSD 9:

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether 00:0c:29:3c:a8:aa
        inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe3c:a8aa%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2 
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

Comment 6 Fedora End Of Life 2013-04-03 15:26:11 UTC
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 19 development cycle.
Changing version to '19'.

(As we did not run this process for some time, it could affect also pre-Fedora 19 development
cycle bugs. We are very sorry. It will help us with cleanup during Fedora 19 End Of Life. Thank you.)

More information and reason for this action is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping/Fedora19

Comment 7 Jiri Popelka 2013-08-22 08:48:52 UTC
This has been in place for couple of releases so closing.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.