Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 790687
openldap should be using portreserve
Last modified: 2013-02-21 06:54:38 EST
To avoid port conflicts with services such as CUPS or IMAP
should be using portreserve for reserving respective ports
within range 600 - 1023. According to /etc/services openldap
might be using port(s) withing this range.
Typical changes required:
Given a SysV service package that uses a particular port, (say, krb5_prop/tcp -
1) Create a file named after the service, for example 'krb5_prop', which
2) In the spec, install this file in /etc/portreserve, i.e.,
3) In the spec, add 'Requires: portreserve' to the package that provides the
4) In the init script, in the start() stanza, add:
[ -x /sbin/portrelease ] && /sbin/portrelease krb5_prop &>/dev/null || :
before starting the daemon.
Some background can be found in bug 103401.
What ports are we talking about? Ports to which openldap server connect to answer client its queries?
(In reply to comment #5)
> What ports are we talking about? Ports to which openldap server connect to
> answer client its queries?
About the server ports clients connect to. In this case 389/tcp+udp and 636/tcp+udp. And 636 is in within the range.
Technical note added. If any revisions are required, please edit the "Technical Notes" field
accordingly. All revisions will be proofread by the Engineering Content Services team.
- OpenLDAP server enabled on ldaps port (636)
- slapd might not manage to bind to ldaps port, because this port can be already taken by other process using bindresvport() glibc call
- added configuration file for portreserve service to reserver ldaps port, updated slapd initscript to remove the reservation before starting slapd service
- ldaps port is available for slapd service and cannot be taken by bindresvport() glibc call
I have cloned the bug for RHEL5.9 as Bug 802240
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.