Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 7934
rp3 insists on 2 /dev/ttyS1s, and doesn't respect params.
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:53 EDT
I tried to use rp3 to dial in to work. It worked fine when I initially
set it up. But then I had some hardware trouble. After fixing it, I
couldn't get 115200 baud to work and moved my modem from /dev/ttyS1 to
When I tried to reconfig rp3, I ran into various weird problems. First, I
ended up with 3 devices listed - /dev/ttyS0 and *two* entries for
/dev/ttyS1. Deleting them took them off the screen, but when the device
screen closed & reopened, the two ttyS1 entries were still there. When
setting /dev/ttyS1 to the default port, *both* ttyS1 lines had an asterisk
The next problem was that no matter what I did to the dialup configs, rp3
always configed the device to 115200 baud, even after I set everything to
57200. It also wouldn't respect the tty set for the entry - it kept using
ttyS1. I can't remember if it always matched the default tty or just
always ttyS1. I observed these facts by looking at the pppd command line
Finally, I wanted to fix the configs by hand, but the man page didn't say
what files rp3 uses.
The rp3 configuration tool uses /etc/wvdial.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp* to do its work.
I've been unable to reproduce the problem here in the
office. Try shutting down rp3, removing /etc/wvdial.conf
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp*, and see if
things appear more sane.
No response for > 2 months, so I assume this was fixed in Raw Hide and 6.2.