Bug 79680 - xpdf packaging issues
xpdf packaging issues
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Raw Hide
Classification: Retired
Component: xpdf (Show other bugs)
1.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Ngo Than
Mike McLean
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-12-14 19:10 EST by Michal Jaegermann
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:49 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-03-31 09:40:44 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Michal Jaegermann 2002-12-14 19:10:46 EST
Description of problem:

Current "rawhide" xpdf version has a number of packaging issues.  Nothing really
major so I will go through xpdf.spec roughly sequentially.

"%define have_freetype_2_0_5 0"?  'freetype' libraries are surely on the
system or modern X servers would have troubles.  Why compile an extra copy
in xpdf binaries.  Even 7.3 distro comes with freetype-2.0.9 which is enough.
Also 't1lib' could be actually useful for other programs (say 'xdvi') so why
to keep a private copy?

Why cyrillic support is absent?  It actually needs less that far eastern
languages.  Thai support may need special fonts by cyrillic packages are
normally in distributions.

Language packages should "auto-register" themselves on installation.  Here
is an example for cyrillic:

%files cyrillic
%defattr(-,root,root)
%doc README
%{_datadir}/xpdf/cyrillic

%post cyrillic
grep -q xpdf/cyrillic /etc/xpdfrc || \
cat %{_datadir}/xpdf/cyrillic/add-to-xpdfrc >> /etc/xpdfrc

%postun cyrillic
ed /etc/xpdfrc <<EOF
/begin Cyrillic support/,/end Cyrillic support/d
w
q
EOF

and similar can be done for other language subpackages.  Redirect
output of 'ed' to /dev/null if you do not want these mysterious numbers
to show up on a screen.

This also probably mean that 'add-to-xpdfrc' should be edited by a script in
a '%build' section in case %{_datadir} changed. xpdf-2.00-lang.patch makes
a location of %{_datadir} hardwired.  Default font changes can be left for
that patch.

After '%patch1 -p1 -b .config',
'cp -rf xpdf-korean/* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/xpdf/korean/' and
'%{_datadir}/xpdf/korean' and similar for other languages we end up with
all these .config backup files as a part of the whole package.  Not really
desirable or nice.  Location edits can be also done in %post scripts.
Just filter through sed before appending to /etc/xpdfrc.

Other than that I recompiled on a machine with 7.3 distro and it runs quite
nicely. :-)  Yes, there are still files which will trip it but this is
for further xpdf developments.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xpdf-2.01-2
Comment 1 Paul Moore 2003-02-02 09:11:56 EST
The latest rawhide xpdf-2.01-5.src reports during "rpmbuild --rebuild"

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for X... no

and then reports

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating xpdf/Makefile
config.status: creating goo/Makefile
config.status: creating aconf.h
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
        pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, and pdfimages, but not xpdf

... and sure enough, the resultant rpm file does not contain a xpdf binary.

I'm actually compiling this through and X-based gnome-terminal.

Have installed openmotif-devel-2.2.2-12 and openmotif-2.2.2-12, and the
behaviour is repeatable. 

Is there maybe a dependancy missing?
Comment 2 Ngo Than 2003-03-31 09:39:34 EST
michal@harddata.com (Michal Jaegermann)
>"%define have_freetype_2_0_5 0"?  'freetype' libraries are surely on the
>system or modern X servers would have troubles.  Why compile an extra copy
>in xpdf binaries.  Even 7.3 distro comes with freetype-2.0.9 which is enough.

It's fixed in 2.02-2

>Also 't1lib' could be actually useful for other programs (say 'xdvi') so why
>to keep a private copy?

good point, perhaps, i should add it as separate rpm into RHL

>Why cyrillic support is absent?  It actually needs less that far eastern
>languages.  Thai support may need special fonts by cyrillic packages are
>normally in distributions.

>Language packages should "auto-register" themselves on installation.  Here
>is an example for cyrillic:

2.01-5 has a patch, which fixes this issue

---------------
Paul Moore 

>The latest rawhide xpdf-2.01-5.src reports during "rpmbuild --rebuild"

>checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
>checking for X... no

>and then reports

>configure: creating ./config.status
>config.status: creating Makefile
>config.status: creating xpdf/Makefile
>config.status: creating goo/Makefile
>config.status: creating aconf.h
>configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
>        pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, and pdfimages, but not xpdf

>... and sure enough, the resultant rpm file does not contain a xpdf binary.

>I'm actually compiling this through and X-based gnome-terminal.

>Have installed openmotif-devel-2.2.2-12 and openmotif-2.2.2-12, and the
>behaviour is repeatable. 

>Is there maybe a dependancy missing?

It looks like that you don't have XFree86-devel on your machine.
Please install XFree86-devel and rebuild should work again.

i have added XFree86-devel in buildprereq in xpdf-2.02-2.
Comment 3 Ngo Than 2003-03-31 09:40:44 EST
it will be available in next rawhide release.
Comment 4 Mark J. Cox (Product Security) 2003-06-18 13:32:27 EDT
An errata has been issued which should help the problem described in this bug report. 
This report is therefore being closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files, please follow the link below. You may reopen 
this bug report if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-196.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.