Bug 7987 - "Successful" install = unusable system
"Successful" install = unusable system
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: installer (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jay Turner
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 1999-12-24 15:06 EST by schwim
Modified: 2015-01-07 18:40 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2000-02-22 15:11:18 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description schwim 1999-12-24 15:06:22 EST
I finally got several "successful" installs of 6.1 on my system after many
retries.  By successful I mean that installation actually completed to the
end.  However, of the 3 completed installs, all were basically pretty
messed up.

In the first case, at boot no modules were loaded, and errors were thrown
stating an incorrect kernel verions in /boot/System.map.  A "uname -r"
reported kernel 2.2.5-15 was running.  Looking in the /lib/modules
directory revealed that all modules were installed under the 2.2.12-20
directory.  Modprobe was using the "uname -r" method to determine the
module directory and thus was trying to load modules that did not exist.
I experimented and copied the /lib/modules/2.2.12-20 directory
to /lib/modules/2.2.5-15 and rebooted.  MANY errors were the result at
boot time, all specifying incorrect versions.  Rather than screw around
any more, I decided to rebuild.

After two more "successful" completions of the install, I came across the
errors "VFS error: could not mount root fs" and "could not find
initrc.img" resulting in a kernel panic.

System info: previously running version 6.0 flawlessly
Model: IBM 466DX2/Dp
i486 DX2 - 66MHz
32MB Ram
Adaptec AHA-1542
3com 3c509
NE2000 compat.
Comment 1 Jay Turner 2000-02-22 15:11:59 EST
If this was an upgrade, then lilo is installed in a different place than it was
previously and therefore the system is booting an old lilo installation, which
is loading an old kernel.  I would suggest making sure that lilo is installed to
the same location as before the upgrade and then your problems should be

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.