Bug 799735 - error running non-shared postrotate script for /var/log/mysqld.log of '/var/log/mysqld.log'
error running non-shared postrotate script for /var/log/mysqld.log of '/var/l...
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: mysql (Show other bugs)
rawhide
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Tom Lane
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-03-04 15:08 EST by kevin
Modified: 2012-04-14 19:23 EDT (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: mysql-5.5.22-1.fc15
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-04-11 23:14:39 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description kevin 2012-03-04 15:08:15 EST
Description of problem:
Logrotate files with:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
error: error running non-shared postrotate script for /var/log/mysqld.log of '/var/log/mysqld.log '


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
logrotate-3.8.0-3.fc16.x86_64

How reproducible:
Daily run via cron.daily

Steps to Reproduce:
As above
  
Actual results:
Above error message

Expected results:
No error message


Additional info:
none
Comment 1 Jan Kaluža 2012-03-05 05:32:30 EST
This is more bugreport for mysqld package maintainer. Mysqld's postscript defined in its logrotate config file fails for you for some reason.

I'm changing component to mysql.
Comment 2 Honza Horak 2012-03-05 05:46:42 EST
This is probably caused by a password set for root and missing /root/.my.cnf. Please, follow the directions in /etc/logrotate.d/mysqld:

# If the root user has a password you have to create a
# /root/.my.cnf configuration file with the following
# content:
#
# [mysqladmin]
# password = <secret> 
# user= root
#
# where "<secret>" is the password. 
#
# ATTENTION: This /root/.my.cnf should be readable ONLY
# for root !
Comment 3 Tom Lane 2012-03-05 10:18:26 EST
I wonder whether we can or should disable the logrotate script by default.  The number of people who asked for it over all the years it wasn't there was very small.  If most mysql users don't need it, but are going to have to do more manual configuration because it's there, they're not going to be happy about that.
Comment 4 kevin 2012-03-05 14:51:25 EST
I will make the changes mentioned in Comment #2 but I've been running Fedora & MySQL for around ten years and this is F16 is the first release I've come across this error. Luck?

And I can't let this chance go by without commenting that, IMHO, F16 would have to rate as one of the worst Fedora releases of all time. There are a lot of issues, mainly with KDE & KMail (that damned "Conflict Resolution" bug is a major PITA! grrrrrr). I know that you consider that "upstream" software but, hey, Red Hat are the packager and the buck stops with you. (Ahh, I feel better now! ;) )
Comment 5 Tom Lane 2012-03-05 16:37:35 EST
(In reply to comment #4)
> I will make the changes mentioned in Comment #2 but I've been running Fedora &
> MySQL for around ten years and this is F16 is the first release I've come
> across this error. Luck?

No, the reason you never saw it before is that mysql never had a logrotate script before, or at least not for a very long time; see bug #547007

> And I can't let this chance go by without commenting that, IMHO, F16 would have
> to rate as one of the worst Fedora releases of all time. There are a lot of
> issues, mainly with KDE & KMail (that damned "Conflict Resolution" bug is a
> major PITA! grrrrrr). I know that you consider that "upstream" software but,
> hey, Red Hat are the packager and the buck stops with you. (Ahh, I feel better
> now! ;) )

Sorry, you're venting at the wrong person.  I don't maintain either of those packages.
(FWIW, I think F15 was about our worst release, because of the badly handled systemd
transition ... F16 has cleaned up a lot of the sharper edges of that mess.)
Comment 6 kevin 2012-03-05 16:47:11 EST
(In reply to comment #5)
> No, the reason you never saw it before is that mysql never had a logrotate
> script before, or at least not for a very long time; see bug #547007

OK, that explains it.

> Sorry, you're venting at the wrong person.  I don't maintain either of those
> packages.
> (FWIW, I think F15 was about our worst release, because of the badly handled
> systemd 
> transition ... F16 has cleaned up a lot of the sharper edges of that mess.)

Yeah, OK, just have a whinge - all better now! :lol: And, agree re systemd.
Comment 7 Fedora Update System 2012-03-30 10:59:04 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc16 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 16.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mysql-5.5.22-1.fc16
Comment 8 Fedora Update System 2012-03-30 10:59:21 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mysql-5.5.22-1.fc15
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2012-03-30 10:59:41 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17
Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2012-03-30 13:58:22 EDT
Package mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17:
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 17 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2012-4912/mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
Comment 11 Fedora Update System 2012-04-11 23:14:39 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Comment 12 Fedora Update System 2012-04-14 19:22:39 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc16 has been pushed to the Fedora 16 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Comment 13 Fedora Update System 2012-04-14 19:23:20 EDT
mysql-5.5.22-1.fc15 has been pushed to the Fedora 15 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.