Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 800345
Issues with unicode support in simplejson-2.0.9 - fixed in 2.1.0 and above, consider upgrade or backport
Last modified: 2016-07-14 11:13:19 EDT
Description of problem:
We have encountered this issue on our production systems: http://code.google.com/p/simplejson/issues/detail?id=48
It is fixed in simplejson 2.1.0 and above. Is it possible to update EPEL5 to a newer version? If not, I could backport the bugfix to simplejson 2.0.9
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
A backport would be preferred as end user visible changes happened in 2.1.0.
Let us know if you've given up on a backport, though, and we'll re-evaluate the impact of an updated version.
Created attachment 569965 [details]
Proposed patch for the package
Since EPEL contained an older release (python-simplejson-2.0.9-3.el5) then the RHEL one, I had to do some extra merging. I attached a proposed patch for the package to this report. What has changed:
1. I merged EPEL version 2.0.9-3 with RHEL version 2.0.9-8.
2. I added the required patch for the unicode issue.
Complete patched SRPM is available here: http://fedorapeople.org/~abbot/python-simplejson-2.0.9-10.el5.centos.src.rpm
This patch solves the issue for me, I would be glad to see it in EPEL pretty soon :)
I was unaware that RHEL5 is now shipping python-simplejson :-( EPEL can't ship packages that RHEL is shipping. This will need to be targeted against the RHEL package and I'll have to retire the EPEL5 python-simplejson.
I'm very sorry I didn't see that piece earlier.
Reassigning to RHEL maintainer.
We've had a request from our developers for 2.1.x, as it greatly improves the error reporting in the library.
So Mozilla is giving a big +1 to having a backport or updated version, as it looks like it hasn't gotten much recent love, https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/change_log.pxt?pid=584618
Let me know if I should be looking somewhere besides https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/packages/details/Overview.do?pid=584618 for updates
To note, we'd like to see it for RHEL6
As Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 has now entered Production Phase 2, this bug has been re-evaluated with the conclusion that a fix would not be appropriate at this time. Consequently this bug is being moved to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Please contact your Red Hat representative if a review is required.
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for
inclusion in the current release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Because the affected component is not scheduled to be updated
in the current release, Red Hat is unable to address this
request at this time.
Red Hat invites you to ask your support representative to
propose this request, if appropriate, in the next release of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 is entering the Production 2 phase of its lifetime and this bug doesn't meet the criteria for it, i.e. only high severity issues will be fixed. Please see https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/ for further information.
I suggest using "json" (from the standard library in Python 2.6+) instead of simplejson.