Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 80322
DHCP always fails on my SIS900
Last modified: 2014-03-16 22:33:09 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20021003
Description of problem:
During installation I selected DHCP for my network card (SIS900). When booting
the system it always tells me that it couldn't get DHCP informations. Manually
setting the IP address works though.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Phoebe, set DHCP for eth0 (SIS900), no firewall
2. Boot the system --> no IP address is assigned
What sorts of error messages do you get?
IP-Informationen werden fuer eth0 bestimmt... fehlgeschlagen; keine Verbindung
vorhanden. Kabel pruefen?
In english this would be something like:
Getting IP-information for eth0... no answer; no connection. Check cable?
(from both the dhcp client, and the kernel)
Bill, in case your last comment was meant as an addtional question:
I only see the error message at boot time or when running "ifup eth0". Nothing
unusual in /var/log/messages. The sis900 kernel module is loaded correctly and I
even can get network up and running when manually running "ifconfig".
*** Bug 80351 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Oddly enough, running dhclient by hand works. Something is odd with the init
scripts. Running the graphical network config tool... and attempting to
"activate" device causes the net-config program to crash with a runtime error.
As a work around, I'm putting /sbin/dhclient in the rc.local.
Hmmm, maybe I'm talking-out-my-ass here... but this stuff seems to be related to
trying to pass a hostname to dhclient? I don't know. Whatever I do to try and
automate getting an IP address via DHCP (adding it to rc.local, or willy-nilly
editing the /sbin/ifup script to just run dhclient without any parameters)...
sure, it gets and address and networking works... but something about the
environment doesn't get set right and I can't login to X. Sucks. Yeah, I
know.. I provided no details. What is a proper workaround to this problem?
Oh, well... betas are for fixing stuff. In any event, it's definitely something
in the /sbin/ifup script.
There's stuff in the initscript (see the network-functions file) that checks for
a link before starting dhcp, because it's somewhat silly to sit waiting on dhcp
when there's no cable. Apparently, this code isn't working right on sis900 cards
for some reason.
I did some poking around and this is what I have found out.
1. the initscript works IF you "ifconfig eth0 up" first
2. The problems seem to be in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions
Within the function check_link_down there is an IF branch that has a preceding
not (!) operator looking to see if LC_ALL is set to "C". Problem is in the same
function library the is_available function does
LC_ALL= LANG= ip -o link | grep -q $1
Which results in LC_ALL being set to nothing. So, when the check_link_down
function runs with the following logic (excuse the echos, that is from me trying
to find out what is going on)
echo "function start"
if [ -x /sbin/mii-tool ]; then
echo "branch executed"
if ! LC_ALL=C ip link show $1 2>/dev/null| grep -q UP ; then
ip link set $1 up >/dev/null 2>&1
echo "Check link up"
while [ $timeout -le 20 ]; do
LC_ALL=C ip link show $1 2>/dev/null | grep -q UP && break
The second if block does not get executed as it should. I've been able to fix
the problem by taking out the "!".
I don't consider myself an expert shell programmer. There seems to be something
in the way that the SIS adapter reports text within "ip -o link" that does not
set the LC_ALL variable to "C". What it is I cannot say because that is the only
adapter I have.
Anyhow, that's my analysis. BTW...what the the LC_ALL variable for anyhow?
I think I may have the logic in my analysis reversed when talking about the "!".
I hate thinking about reverse logic. That's what I get for looking at this thing
on a late sunday night after 3 beers.
Anyhow. I hope that clears any confusion
*** Bug 80731 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
this bug happens in my RedHat 8.0 version (the one that is avaliable to
download but is not the beta one). My card is a 3Com 3C905B. This but is not
only for SIS cards - I think all NICs a affected. And is not only in the BETA
PHOEBE, for shure! Manually running the dhcpclient solves the problem! I got
this same EXACT BUG!
sorry for my VERY BAD English, I'm from Brazil and it's 2:38 of the morning. =]
Fwiw, on the systems I use, they all work on RHL 8.0. Including the SiS one.
With the phoebe beta, all systems except the SiS one work.
Will be fixed in 7.03-1.
Indeed, fix confirmed for me under Phoebe2 too.
*** Bug 83010 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***