Bug 806564 - Attempting to install F16 on an ASUS X54C notebook. Repartitioned to retain W7 and the install
Attempting to install F16 on an ASUS X54C notebook. Repartitioned to retain W...
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
16
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Kernel Maintainer List
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-03-24 16:36 EDT by Jim Bean
Modified: 2012-10-24 09:19 EDT (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-10-24 09:19:02 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Scren log photo (389.64 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-03-27 15:09 EDT, Jim Bean
no flags Details
Screen log (402.49 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-03-27 15:12 EDT, Jim Bean
no flags Details
Screen log (330.54 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-03-27 15:13 EDT, Jim Bean
no flags Details
Screen log bottom (350.13 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-03-27 15:17 EDT, Jim Bean
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Jim Bean 2012-03-24 16:36:39 EDT
Description of problem:


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Jim Bean 2012-03-24 16:50:33 EDT
A bootable DVD is the install medium. Repartitioned to retain W7 and the install was successful. Later a kernel panic. Following that, attempting to reinstall, anaconda kernel panics showing a "BUG: schedule while active". This laptop uses the new Intel I3, chipset HM65. Some opinion on forems is that this chip is not well supported by developers yet.
Comment 2 Vratislav Podzimek 2012-03-26 08:09:45 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> A bootable DVD is the install medium. Repartitioned to retain W7 and the
> install was successful. Later a kernel panic. 
What does "Later" mean here?

> Following that, attempting to
> reinstall, anaconda kernel panics showing a "BUG: schedule while active".
When this kernel panic appears?

> This laptop uses the new Intel I3, chipset HM65. Some opinion on forems is
> that this chip is not well supported by developers yet.
Comment 3 Jim Bean 2012-03-26 15:55:15 EDT
"Later"
The laptop operated normally for perhaps an hour before the kernel panic.
I was attempting to connect to a desktop via ethernet at the time.

The install process usually gets just past the "preparing to install" message.
Sometimes fails during the "preparing to install"
Sometimes freezes while downloading the repository data.

Is there some way to preserve the log? There are three screens of data and the first two roll off. Even if it writes to the disk there is no way I can see to extract it since the install doesn't finish.
Comment 4 Jim Bean 2012-03-27 15:09:46 EDT
Created attachment 573154 [details]
Scren log photo

I was able to take photos of the screen log after the last kernel panic.
There are 4 photos. This is the first.
Comment 5 Jim Bean 2012-03-27 15:12:01 EDT
Created attachment 573155 [details]
Screen log
Comment 6 Jim Bean 2012-03-27 15:13:58 EDT
Created attachment 573156 [details]
Screen log

Screen log
Comment 7 Jim Bean 2012-03-27 15:17:35 EDT
Created attachment 573157 [details]
Screen log bottom

Last one. This panic is a tainted swap.
The photos are not very good but might shed some light.
There didn't seem to be any other way.
Comment 8 Jim Bean 2012-05-21 19:32:25 EDT
It has occured to me that in all cases of the kernel panic ethernet was being used, so this may be an ethernet driver issue. Anaconda was downloading from the net and the laptop was connected to the modem by ethernet.
Comment 9 Dave Jones 2012-10-23 11:39:31 EDT
# Mass update to all open bugs.

Kernel 3.6.2-1.fc16 has just been pushed to updates.
This update is a significant rebase from the previous version.

Please retest with this kernel, and let us know if your problem has been fixed.

In the event that you have upgraded to a newer release and the bug you reported
is still present, please change the version field to the newest release you have
encountered the issue with.  Before doing so, please ensure you are testing the
latest kernel update in that release and attach any new and relevant information
you may have gathered.

If you are not the original bug reporter and you still experience this bug,
please file a new report, as it is possible that you may be seeing a
different problem. 
(Please don't clone this bug, a fresh bug referencing this bug in the comment is sufficient).
Comment 10 Jim Bean 2012-10-23 19:56:33 EDT
(In reply to comment #9)
> # Mass update to all open bugs.
> 
> Kernel 3.6.2-1.fc16 has just been pushed to updates.
> This update is a significant rebase from the previous version.
> 
> Please retest with this kernel, and let us know if your problem has been
> fixed.
> 
> In the event that you have upgraded to a newer release and the bug you
> reported
> is still present, please change the version field to the newest release you
> have
> encountered the issue with.  Before doing so, please ensure you are testing
> the
> latest kernel update in that release and attach any new and relevant
> information
> you may have gathered.
> 
> If you are not the original bug reporter and you still experience this bug,
> please file a new report, as it is possible that you may be seeing a
> different problem. 
> (Please don't clone this bug, a fresh bug referencing this bug in the
> comment is sufficient).

I had updated this laptop to FC17 and it is working OK.
It was running 3.5.3-1fc17.
I just did an update and it brought in 3.6.2-4fc17 which also works fine.

From my point of view this fixes the problem but maybe not from yours.
I don't use this machine much so if you want, as an experiment, I can back date it to fc16 which will automatically bring in the latest fc16 kernel.
Let me know your pleasure.
Jim
Comment 11 Josh Boyer 2012-10-24 09:19:02 EDT
Thanks for letting us know.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.