Description of problem:
If at the first boot screen, at the stage of creating the first user, I click on Advanced, and then click on Add Group, the Add Group window is invisible as it is placed behind the User Manager Window. The same happens with the Add User window (though not always).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Beta-RC3, LXDE spin.
Add Group window - always
Add User window - sometimes (other times the window gets place at the top left corner in which case it is visible.
Invisible window (which looks like the program hang because nothing happened after clicking the button).
Add Group or User window visible.
I started the shell, ran "ps" and openbox was not running. Should it? Openbox is the window manager used by LXDE. Adam Williamson suggested in the Test mailing list that a window manager not running could cause this type of issue. On the other hand the windows did have an X at the top right corner and a title bar, so maybe another window manager was running instead of openbox?
This is caused by the set_type_hint call in mainWindow.py __init__() method
I can't think of an easy way to fix this cleanly:
- Currently, we abuse the window hints to avoid the main window being minimizable. This has the side-effect of additional windows being under the main window (this bug).
- There's no obvious way to only disable minimization via gtk/gdk. Apparently there's a way to do it in X11 directly, but that seems rather over-engineered -- it'd need a new dependency on x11 python module packages or something like that. And it would mean dealing with X11 directly.
- Simply deminimize a window after it's minimized. Flickery perhaps, but effective.
I plan to implement the last option.
Author: Nils Philippsen <nils>
AuthorDate: Wed Apr 18 18:20:12 2012 +0200
firstboot: don't abuse window hints, consolidate code (#811383)
system-config-users-1.2.115-1.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 17 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing system-config-users-1.2.115-1.fc17'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
Issue fixed, thanks. Added karma.
system-config-users-1.2.115-1.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.