Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 81151
some keys don't work well in metacity
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:38:04 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; zh-CN; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021218
Description of problem:
There are some strange problems in gnome2, which uses metacity window manager.
1. The shortcut key for taking screenshot is "Print", but pressing "Print"
doesn't wok. Setting the shortcut key to other value (such as F12) works, but
not so fine: whenever I open the start menu, pressing the shortcut key get no
2. When I use vim in gnome-terminal, the "up" and "down" keys don't work.
Pressing these two keys get an error message: "E388 not defined".I have to use
the default binding "k" and "j" instead. :(
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Choose GNOME in gdm and login.
2. Press the key "Print".
3. Change the shorcut key for taking screenshot to "F12", and press the key
"F12".Click the start menu, and press "F12" again.
4. Open gnome-terminal, and use vim to edit a text file. Use "up" and "down" to
navigate in the text file.
Actual Results: 2.3: The program gnome-panel-screenshot didn't show.
4. You can't navigate in that way.
Expected Results: 2.3. The program gnome-panel-screenshot shows.
4. You can navigate in the text file freely.
1. The above problems doesn't appear in KDE or FVWM. So I believe these are the
problems of metacity.
2. My locale is zh_CN.GB18030 (Simplified Chinese).
Print key problem is already filed separately, so consider it
tracked elsewhere. (Filed against gnome-panel I think.)
Moving vi issue to vte.
The vi problem doen't always occur. It work fine now.
I don't know what make this change.
I use FVWM these days, and shutdown the machine yesterday. This morning I
powered on the machine, and found "up" and "down" now works in vim.
Cursor key issues should be fixed in 0.10.9 and later. Please reopen this bug
if you find that this is not the case.