Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 813917
High Agent CPU utilization after enabling certain Metric Collection Templates
Last modified: 2013-09-04 04:51:38 EDT
release/jon3.0.x commit 67c43335379d1313fe83b53b25f79d7671ad8ef5
The problem is actually independent of plugin or resource type. It is a
general problem with enable/disable of metrics at the template level.
- The database is not compromised
- It occurs only when applying the changes to existing inventory
- It affects only running agents that are updated as a result of the
- The server code leaks bad collection interval values, used to indicate
various enable/disable scenarios, to the agent update.
This has been corrected. The changes are limited to the server jar.
There are additions to the MeasurementScheduleRemote and Local, and
certain methods have been deprecated. Existing CLI scripts should be
ok, and I've added better validation of intervals being set in that
way. Although, if they are using the deprecated methods they should move
to the new methods after the next upgrade.
Agents do not need to be updated. But, agents suffering from this problem
should be re-synced, or restarted --purge.
To reproduce I used AS4 WAR type and, via the GUI, enabled an out-of-box disabled metric to enabled, not changing the interval.
Again, the type is not relevant, there is a general issue with template metric manipulation. Various enable/disable and interval update should be tried from
the template level. For good measure, group and resource level should be
sanity checked, although the code-path is different.
The Agent prompt command:
> schedules <resource-id>
is very useful for looking at the intervals defined for a resource. You
should never see 0 or -1 in this list.
Updating commit with a few more changes:
Fix issues due to code changes for [Bug 81391].
This does not add files to the patch file-set, it does update some
of the files.
Actually, that's not true, it adds WebservicesManagerBean to the file-set.
Patch note: The changes to MeasurementDataGwtImpl need to be applied to
coregui.war. So, the patch should update or replace coregui.war.
Closing as this is for a very old release.