Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 814043
remote-viewer does not have an application name set for human friendly title bar
Last modified: 2013-08-04 23:43:38 EDT
Description of problem:
virt-viewer doesn't open console form with specific name.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Make sure there is a running guest.
2. Run #virt-viewer --name=test $guest
1. Console form opened without specific name.
1. Name of console form should be "test".
1. If I use remote-viewer --name=test spice://127.0.0.1:5900, it will be OK.
I don't really understand what you're expecting to happen here. The '--name' option is a low level setting only ever used by legacy Window Managers and is not something you ever really want to set these days.
I reported this bug because of I can get the --name option from #virt-viewer --help-all command. And it works well in remote-viewer command, so I think it should do same thing in virt-viewer.
So in GLib there are two names maintained
- program name - this is a named based on the 'argv' of the binary, but overridable using '--name'
- application name - this is a human friendly name, set by the application author
The window title bars will include the application name, but if that is not set, they fallback to using the program name. The remote viewer program had forgotten to set the application name, so we were falling back to program name. This is why the --name argument was able to affect the window title., Once we fix remote viewer to have an applicaiton name set, the title bar will *not* be affected by the --name argument, and thus behave the same as virt-viewer does.
Technical note added. If any revisions are required, please edit the "Technical Notes" field
accordingly. All revisions will be proofread by the Engineering Content Services team.
Verified pass on the build
1. Have a running guest.
2. run #remote-viewer --name=test spice://127.0.0.1:5900
3. run #remote-viewer --name=test vnc://127.0.0.1:5900
4. run #virt-viewer --name=test $guestname
1. virt-viewer or remote-viewer form can be opened without any "name".
Change this bug to VERIFIED.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.