From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Description of problem:
My pertinent system info: AMD1400 t-bird; 512mb RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400
video card; Gateway 1510 monitor
After initial install in which X works but needs a driver update for video to
work properly. I tried to intall both NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX, versions
4190 and 3123, to no avail. X crashes and will try to reconfigure itself to no
avail also. Not sure if this is an XFree issue or a kernel issue???
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Logout of X and run Command "init 3" to shutdown X.
2. "Tar" NVIDIA drivers. Got to tar'd directories and run "make" and "make
install":works fine. Drivers install okay.
3. Run "lsmod" to ensure new "nvidia" driver loaded: it did every time.
4. Change driver data from "nv" to "nvidia" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
5. Run "init 5" and X tries to load but fails.
6. Review /var/log/XF86Free0.log and there is NO error/warning to indicate why
driver will not install.
Actual Results: Crash
Expected Results: Crash
Followup: I tried one more time to load the drivers. I did two things
differnetly though. 1. I changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config (not the -4 file) and
2. ran "depmod -a". Rebooted and guess what? Version 4191 loaded!
I will rename XF86Config-4 to see if it was the depmod that did it or not.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 73733 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.