Bug 815514 - Thunar slow to open and prompts with an error
Thunar slow to open and prompts with an error
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Thunar (Show other bugs)
17
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Kevin Fenzi
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-04-23 14:38 EDT by Jason Montleon
Modified: 2012-04-23 15:27 EDT (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-04-23 15:27:06 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Jason Montleon 2012-04-23 14:38:21 EDT
Description of problem:
After upgrading, when I try to run Thunar, whether from the command line, menu, or icons on the Desktop I receive an error message the first time it runs:

The folder could not be opened

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message
bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

After the first time I run Thunar the error message does not reappear until I reboot, however it still opens very slowly on subsequent runs.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Thunar-1.3.0-6.fc17.x86_64

How reproducible:
Seems 100%. I am affected on two different systems

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Fedora 17 with XFCE
2. Log into XFCE
3. Try to run Thunar
  
Actual results:
Wait several seconds, and get prompted with an error message.

Expected results:
Thunar opens quickly and without an error message.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Kevin Fenzi 2012-04-23 14:50:58 EDT
How are you logging into Xfce? via gdm? 

How did you upgrade? yum? media? which one?
Comment 2 Jason Montleon 2012-04-23 14:52:17 EDT
It seems the samba4 packages are to blame for this. I just replaced them with the samba packages and things are working normally.

I upgraded using the DVD which replaced the samba packages I had installed with samba4 equivelants.
Comment 3 Kevin Fenzi 2012-04-23 15:09:25 EDT
Cool. I think that should be fixed up soon... shall we keep this open and move it to samba4 for tracking, or just close it out?
Comment 4 Jason Montleon 2012-04-23 15:20:15 EDT
It should be ok to close it. I ran across something in the Xfce bugzilla that made me think this might be network and therefore samba related, and now that I am looking I don't see the samba4 packages on the DVD.

I think I got these post upgrade running a yum update; it was trying to install some samba4 packages for dependencies even though I had samba (3.x) packages installed, which was causing the yum update to fail due to a conflict.  

I think I uninstalled all the samba (3.x) packages at which point a yum update installed the samba4 packages to fulfill the dependencies. So hopefully not too many people will run into this, if at all.
Comment 5 Kevin Fenzi 2012-04-23 15:27:06 EDT
Great. Thanks for the bug and detective work. ;)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.