Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 817567
rhn_check does not correctly report the result of attempting to update an already updated package
Last modified: 2015-07-26 18:20:52 EDT
Description of problem:
rhn_check reports the attempt to update packages already updated as a failure from time to time
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
all the time
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install a RHEL6.0 or 6.1 and register to rhn (package list needs to be uploaded)
2. update yum*, *rhn*, *rpm* to the latest version
3. disabled rhnsd
4. on rhn, enable the automatic installation of erratas
4. update the system to the latest version using yum ; do not update profile information. (we consider customers may want to do this to apply high level security erratas, but this is the best way to see the problem on a global scale)
5. enable the automatic installation of erratas
6. either wait for rhnsd to pick the job or run rhn_check with no debug option
on rhn the event list will list a lot of the installations as "failed"
on rhn the packages already updated should show in the history as "passed".
the reproducer is wider than the usage of the customer on purpose. a customer may want only to install critical erratas before the job is picked from rhn as per policies or other reasons, and the events from automated errata installation will be "failed" erroneously for some of these.
spacewalk.git master: eaca0fa4b2a602d8faea0d0f1848c83574d9865f
new (child)channel "TestChannel" with dummy packages
client subscribed to this channel,
zsh + zsh-dev installed with yum (so server knew about packages)
new (child)channel "TestChannel2" with dummy packages
+ erratum containing this two dummy packages
client subscribed to TestChannel2
installed (.rpm) packages with rpm (so server didn't know about it)
scheduled errata application
# rhn_check -vv
(even "reschedule" led to fail).
After upgrade to yum-rhn-plugin-0.9.1-40.el6 reschedule went ok.
Redoing described scenario worked ok.
Also checked that via WebUI scheduled installs & updates are working.
(With both rhn_check and with osad.)
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.