Description of problem: The polipo service fails to start (by systemd).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 188.8.131.52-6.fc17
How reproducible: 100% reproducible.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install the polipo package
2. Enable it with: "systemctl enable polipo.service"
3. Attempt to start it: "systemctl start polipo.service" (or reboot the system)
Actual results: The polipo service fails to start, from /var/log/messages;
May 3 10:24:40 kd6ekq systemd: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
May 3 10:24:40 kd6ekq systemd: polipo.service failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
May 3 10:24:40 kd6ekq systemd: Unit polipo.service entered failed state.
Expected results: It should start.
Additional info: It looks to be caused by a couple of mistakes in the conversion form SYSV Init to systemd. In the file: /lib/systemd/system/polipo.service, note the two lines:
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/polipo -c $CONFIG
1) The polipo package does NOT contain a file "/etc/sysconfig/polipo", probably just got left out by mistake
2) The ExecStart entry appears to be erroneous, there is no file named /usr/sbin/polipo (the polipo executable is packaged as /usr/bin/polipo)
I got it to work fine for me by making these changes;
1) I created a file "/etc/sysconfig/polipo" containing these two lines;
# Command line options for polipo
2) I corrected the error in /lib/systemd/system/polipo.service;
ExecStart=/usr/bin/polipo -c $CONFIG
Same version, same problem.
Cheers for your fine workaround, John.
polipo-184.108.40.206-7.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
The updated package polipo-220.127.116.11-7.fc17 with fixes for this bug should be available shortly in fedora-updates-testing. As most people don't have the updates-testing repository enabled, use the --enablerepo command line option to temporarily enable it;
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing upgrade polipo
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 17 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing polipo-18.104.22.168-7.fc17'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
polipo-22.214.171.124-7.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.