Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 823048
Upgrade to F17 fails with DeviceError: ('device has not been created' ... for non-boot disk
Last modified: 2013-07-31 19:53:58 EDT
Created attachment 915456 [details]
(This comment was longer than 65,535 characters and has been moved to an attachment by Red Hat Bugzilla).
I believe I have ran into the same problem, but I had this entry in my fstab when Fedora 17 rebooted after running preupgrade:
hugetlbfs /hugepages hugetlbfs defaults 0 0
The installer does not know about hugetlbfs and it would fail when checking the disk setup. I commented out the entry in my /etc/fstab and I was able to upgrade fine. Might need to place a check to see if this is in /etc/fstab before upgrade.
Upon further examination, I discovered that an entry in fstab was causing this. In this case, the mount was by ID, as follows:
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD204UIS2HGJ1BZ834913-part1 /foo ext4 defaults 1 4
I worked around this by commenting out the line.
I received the error even when upgrading through the "custom layout" path. I.e. I usally overwrite the existing installation and start with a fresh system.
I receive the same error, but there isn't any obvious fstab entry that should prompt it.
I was having the same problem. I had a RAID device with a couple of partitions on it that were being mounted by label in fstab. I commented out those entries in fstab and the error went away.
Me too... got past this by commenting out a btrfs fs mount and also /debug.. not sure which fixed it.. now i'm digging into a "mirror FailureCB" issue.
And in case anyone searches and finds comment 6 the repo names don't work on a vfat formatted usb stick.,
(In reply to comment #6)
> Me too... got past this by commenting out a btrfs fs mount and also /debug..
> not sure which fixed it.. now I'm digging into a "mirror FailureCB" issue.
Redid this... it was the /debug mount that caused the initial issue.
Now I'm unable to upgrade as after I get to the upgrade gui anacanda messes up and can't locate my md1 device. There seem to be multiple tickets and discussions about that as well... so I'll be moving on to those bugs.
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '17'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora, you are encouraged change the
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Fedora 17 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2013-07-30. Fedora 17 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.