Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 823429
The show_bug.cgi output is not valid HTML
Last modified: 2013-06-23 23:21:54 EDT
Description of problem:
The output of show_bug.cgi does not seem to be valid HTML 4.01 Transitional.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fbugzilla.redhat.com%2Fshow_bug.cgi%3Fid%3D737830&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
or go to validator.w3.org and put in URL https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=737830
Result: 10 Errors, 16 warning(s)
Warning Line 277, Column 216: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "version"
and many more.
Created attachment 585768 [details]
Screenshot of the broken display.
One of the ill effects is ul within ul which leads to broken display. This is Firefox 12.0.
I see the error results on the page validator.w3.org, but I didn't see the broken display as in the attachment by opening the https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=737830, this Firefox 15.0.
The display problem was fixed many months ago.
However, we still aren't producing compliant HTML. I've checked upstream, and they aren't either. Some errors are customisations on our part (ID "USEFUL-LINKS" already defined). Others come from upstream.
I'm going to mark this as part of the initial Bugzilla 4.4 release. Any changes that affect upstream mean we can submit a patch for it.
I've fixed up the broken HTML caused by Red Hat extensions. There's still some warnings from the upstream HTML, but they don't look like they would cause any page breakage.
*** Bug 927041 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Created attachment 745573 [details]
screenshot for comment8
Created attachment 745679 [details]
screenshot for comment11