Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 826705
uvcvideo driver is missing "Focus" control (and others?) for Logitech, Inc. Webcam Pro 9000
Last modified: 2012-06-02 04:53:13 EDT
Description of problem:
In Fedora 16 a bunch of "controls" for my webcam were available via the uvcdynctrl command line program, and also guvcview gui. In particular "Focus", which is really necessary is now gone. The xml describing my camera is:
but this cannot be loaded with uvcdynctrl -i /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml
due to the error:
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: device 'video0' skipped because the driver 'uvcvideo' behind it does not seem to support dynamic controls.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.run uvcdynctrl -c and look at list of controls.
Exposure, Auto Priority
White Balance Temperature
Power Line Frequency
White Balance Temperature, Auto
Expected results (this also has some attribute values, this is output of a script I had last run in F16):
#Raw bits per pixel: 0
#Disable video processing: 0
#LED1 Frequency: 0
#LED1 Mode: 3
#Exposure, Auto Priority: 0
#Exposure (Absolute): 310
#Exposure, Auto: 3
#Backlight Compensation: 1
#White Balance Temperature: 9760
#Power Line Frequency: 2
#White Balance Temperature, Auto: 1
Note: "Tilt" and "Pan" are new.
# yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing libwebcam
I installed the above update. I can now load the XML.
I don't get the "Focus" control with this update alone. It seems to be actually a kernel bug.
I DO get a bunch of the above "missing" controls back, however, but not "Focus" which is very important.
Can you please reopen? I changed the subject to be more specific.
Reassigning to kernel.
ok. Michael was almost right in comment#1, this bug was fixed. However, the the package(s) which needed to be updated were uvcdynctrl and uvcdynctrl-data, which are part of the libwebcam project, but not updated with the command given.
After doing some debugging (another hour of my life) I discovered what the maintainers already knew, which was that the XML file was missing the product_id for my webcam (added in latest version), AND that the old version of the program ignored the product_id altogether (although not working with latest kernels), hence it going from working to not working.
With the new code, it seems to be working again.
Please push to stable! Close this bug!
The update fixing this has been pushed to stable last Thursday, closing.