Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 82704
Menus not displaying text
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:50:19 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030105
Description of problem:
The menus all have no text. this is a clean kickstart installed system.
Whenever i open a menu i get no text.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Actual Results: no text in menus
Expected Results: Menus to display the text for them
I can reproduce this 100% only within a VNC session. Xvnc lacks XRENDER, but
other X servers without XRENDER that I have tested do not exhibit this problem.
What X server do you use and see this problem, or which video card running on
I am using stock 8.0.93 install no updates the machine is an IBM Personal
Computer 300GL, PII 233, 160Mb ram, it has an onboard Cirrus logic GD 5465
chipset. X is 220.127.116.11-20030115.0
On a further note. i just tried exporting my display to my main desktop which is
running 8.0 with a radeon 700 card running X 4.2.0-72 and i dont get the problem
with the same build of openoffice. so im thinking its a X bug, not a OO bug. i
will file a bug for X
I disagree, OpenOffice fails to display text in most menus with certain X
servers, including Xvnc and your particular controller. This indicates to me
that OpenOffice isn't properly doing something.
Ok then. What is it then that is causing menus not to display? is it that OO
is calling a function provided only by a certain part of X that not all drivers
support (definetly an OOo bug). or is it that the call to X is not implemented
correctly in all the X drivers(an X bug)? on a side note what is bug 79578
that this bug blocks?
Can you please test the build from OpenOffice.org to see if it has the same problem?
Install it into a different location like /opt/openoffice, wipe out your
~/.openoffice and ~/.sversionrc and run it. Does it exhibit the same problem?
Do you have StarOffice 6.0 to test too?
Also what version of Red Hat's openoffice are you running? Try the latest 1.0.2
packages from Rawhide too.
I earlier had a theory that this problem had to do with the lack of XRENDER in
Xvnc, however all other XRENDERLess servers (X-Win 5.0, Solaris 9 update 2
openwin, etc.) that I have tested work properly with Phoebe's openoffice. Thus
I have no idea what could be causing this.
Fixed in 1.0.2 from rawhide. must have been a bug with 1.0.1 fixed in 1.0.2
Warren have you tried at your end with 1.0.2? do you still get the same?
Confirmed, 1.0.2 works in Xvnc, however it introduces 2 or 3 other unrelated
behaviors that were not in 1.0.1. I will investigate this and file if they
aren't already filed.
*** Bug 83307 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Sounds like cirrus color expansion is shot. Try adding to the device
section of the config file XaaNoCpuToScreenColorExpandFill
OpenOffice 1.0.2 no longer exhibits this problem with both the Cirrus and Xvnc.
1) Want us to downgrade to 1.0.1?
2) Can I do anything similar to isolate this bug in Xvnc?
I downgraded back to 1.0.1 and added option "XaaNoCpuToScreenColorExpandFill" to
the devices section of the X config file and the menus displayed as expected.
Perhaps if this is a comon problem on the cirrus chipset it should be a default
OOo bug fixed, reassigning to X.
dennis) No, please don't downgrade to 1.0.1, as that is not what we will be
shipping. I don't want to disable video hardware features for a broken app
we're not shipping. I want to know what is wrong with the driver if you
use the latest software that is in our current lineup.
Warren states that he is not having this problem with OOo 1.0.2, so I am
not convinced what the right thing is to do. Also recently some bugs
have been fixed in X that are related to drawing fonts (color expansion).
I don't mind disabling CpuToScreenColorExpandFill, or attempting to fix it,
but only if I really have to, and only on the chips it is reported buggy
in while using the absolute latest XFree86 builds.
Can you upgrade to the latest everything and if the problem persists,
attach your X server log and config file. Then try adding Option "noaccel"
to your config file. If that works let me know.
As i said earlier when i updated OOo to 1.0.2 without adding anything to my XFree
config file. but i will update everything to rawhide and see how it goes.
Added default option "XaaNoCpuToScreenColorExpandFill" to Cards database.