Bug 827644 - any linux will not install on my machine because it cannot find the disc drive...
any linux will not install on my machine because it cannot find the disc driv...
Status: CLOSED CANTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: dracut (Show other bugs)
17
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: dracut-maint
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-06-01 19:54 EDT by SF
Modified: 2012-06-07 08:34 EDT (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-06-06 05:38:52 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
screen shot uploaded incase website does not work (54.15 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-06-01 19:54 EDT, SF
no flags Details
ls -l /dev/disk/by* (1.19 MB, image/jpeg)
2012-06-04 15:35 EDT, Gerry Reno
no flags Details
output from suggested dracut command (118.83 KB, image/jpeg)
2012-06-05 06:05 EDT, SF
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description SF 2012-06-01 19:54:33 EDT
Created attachment 588601 [details]
screen shot uploaded incase website does not work

Description of problem:
After many attempts to install Fedora onto my computer - it fails.

Before I give you full details - I need to provide a bit of a background - 
1.) I downloaded and checksum F16 the dvd iso and then burned to disk.
2.) I was able to successfully install F16 onto my computer with an internet connection.
3.) upon formatting and trying to install f16 onto my computer - the installation failed because it would not allow me to do so without an internet connection.
4.) talking to the fedora irc channel on freenode - they suggested I wait until F17
5.) i downloaded and checksum f17 dvd iso full - tried to install that and received this screen shot
http://www.wolfpack.net.au/fedora/img_3316.jpg
6.) i tried "options nouveau noaccel=1"  under the common bugs but that gave me this screenshot
http://www.wolfpack.net.au/fedora/img_3318.jpg
7.) please note: i am not using a live cd - im using a full DVD iso of 3.6gb
8.) i tried to debug dracut (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Dracut_problems) but got to where it said 
"#less /init.log
 # dmesg | less
"

and it said it could not find file - so im here logging a bug report
9.) i have had numerous hours - to which i am grateful for - speaking to the #fedora channel - to which they are at a loss.
10.) im not using RAID or firewire or external drives or vitual host - im just using a standard computer box

mobo: p6x58d premium
ram: 12gb
video card : nvidia gtx 480
sound card : razor
hdd: 5 x removable hdd (but i only use one hdd)
(http://www.jj-computer.com/media/cm_images/la_st-136ss-03.jpg)
media: lg dvd burner

points of note:
1.) f16 dvd iso did not crash to dracut - i got to "select network interface" and then it died because it did not have an internet connect
2.) f17 died on me after selecting install
3.) i do not believe it to be hardware related because windows 7 installs fine on the machine - without a hitch
4.) i unplugged the empty hard drive bays so that only the 1 hdd and 1 dvd pay is connected
5.) the boot options for bios is dvd, hdd - and the dvd boots but then it appears that it loses the  location of the cd rom drive
6.) someone recommended that i change the boot option to "sr0" something and that failed too
7.) this is out of my league to fix =D im but a humble web developer.
8.) if there is anything else that i can provide you with i will do my best - but i do not wish to start tearing out parts of my machine to try and resolve it



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1. place install dvd into drive and boot
2. press enter to select "install or upgrade fedora"
3. falls to dracut 
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Harald Hoyer 2012-06-04 05:17:10 EDT
if you are in the dracut debug shell, can you type:

# ls -l /dev/disk/by*

any attach a photo?
Comment 2 Gerry Reno 2012-06-04 15:24:41 EDT
Today tried installing F17 x86_64 from DVD and get these errors:

    ERROR: could not insert 'floppy': No such device
    Loading Fedora 17 x86_64 installer...

    dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
    dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/Fedorax2017x20x86_64 does not exist
    dracut Warning: /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist

    Dropping to debug shell.

    dracut:/#


This laptop does not have a 'floppy' device.
Comment 3 Gerry Reno 2012-06-04 15:35:42 EDT
Created attachment 589265 [details]
ls -l /dev/disk/by*

Attached a screenshot.
Comment 4 Adam Williamson 2012-06-04 15:47:18 EDT
The 'floppy' error has nothing to do with it, to be clear: the key issue here is the:

    dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/Fedorax2017x20x86_64 does not exist
    dracut Warning: /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist
Comment 5 Will Woods 2012-06-04 16:10:16 EDT
Your system doesn't recognize the CD/DVD in the drive. Likely causes:

  * Bad burn / bad media

    This is pretty common. Try using "checkisomd5 /dev/sr0" (from the existing
    F16 install) to check the burned media. If it fails, burn a new one.

  * Your DVD drive doesn't like that type/brand of media

    This is also not uncommon. DVD/CD-RW drives can be very picky.
    I've seen drives that would happily *write* to a certain brand of media
    but not *read* it after they burned it.

    If you can't verify the media, try using a different type/brand.

Basically, you need to verify that drive can actually read the media you burned. The easiest way is to use 'checkisomd5' after burning it. If the check is successful *every* time, but the installer *still* doesn't start when you reboot, there might be something else going on here (driver problems etc.)
Comment 6 Adam Williamson 2012-06-04 16:29:05 EDT
will: there's nothing odd about the 'x's in the label?
Comment 7 Gerry Reno 2012-06-04 20:24:39 EDT
Will, you were right.

I burned another sloptical disk on a different machine and this one seemed to work better.  Albeit not perfect.

Still got some rpcbind errors that zoomed by before the installer started.

.
Comment 8 Harald Hoyer 2012-06-05 05:23:32 EDT
try this workaround:
- press tab to get to the kernel command line
- replace "root=...." with "root=live:/dev/sr0"
Comment 9 Harald Hoyer 2012-06-05 05:24:32 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> Will, you were right.
> 
> I burned another sloptical disk on a different machine and this one seemed
> to work better.  Albeit not perfect.
> 
> Still got some rpcbind errors that zoomed by before the installer started.
> 
> .

ah, ok.. cool forget about comment 8
Comment 10 SF 2012-06-05 06:05:14 EDT
Created attachment 589464 [details]
output from suggested dracut command
Comment 11 SF 2012-06-05 06:15:59 EDT

i ran the command
# ls -l /dev/disk/by* 
as suggested and have uploaded the picture to the attachments...

i do not believe it to be the media because it starts to install proceedure from the menu and then dies so clearly the disk is working


someone on the irc channel suggested the command
root=live:/dev/sr0 as per the post above and that didnt work either - it couldnt find sr0 rather then the normal error of /dev/mapper  (as per original image)



i did a check sum on the downloaded iso and not sure how to check the burned iso on the disk under windows my knowledge of linux is tiny
Comment 12 SF 2012-06-05 06:54:58 EDT
can it be bios related?

i dont really wish to flash my bios
Comment 13 Harald Hoyer 2012-06-05 12:17:36 EDT
(In reply to comment #11)
> 
> i ran the command
> # ls -l /dev/disk/by* 
> as suggested and have uploaded the picture to the attachments...
> 
> i do not believe it to be the media because it starts to install proceedure
> from the menu and then dies so clearly the disk is working

Ah, so _you_ see the "install" button and have a mouse and desktop?
Comment 14 SF 2012-06-05 19:47:26 EDT
sorry i dont understand your point mr hoyer...could you clarify please?


I have managed to fix the problem - or at least found a hack for it


in exec summary
* tried installing from a live version installed on usb and it did not work because it could not find the hard drive

* i updated my bios (scary stuff for me)

* i tried installing from a the usb again and it didnt want to boot

* i turned off my hard drive - booted again - usb worked - turned on my hard drive when the usb install was just starting and fedora picked up the hard drive


its definatly something hardware/bios related so yeah ...
Comment 15 SF 2012-06-05 19:48:22 EDT
should this be closed or does anyone need anything specific from me?

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.