Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 8293
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:53 EDT
I have been using up2date since Nov and has worked fine, I attempted
to use it last night and I now get the loging failure. I did notice
that it is attempting to login to dell2.redhat.com. My configuration is
User ID: email@example.com
Override version Red Hat Linux 6.1
Package storage directory /var/spool/up2date
The last four update announcements by Red Hat were not in the
priority update directory though I was able to retrieve them from the
normal updates having to try several times during the day
to find a time when the the ftp server was not maxed out with users.
I purchased the RH 6.1 Deluxe with the priority updates feature
that would forgo the frustration of repeated attempts to login
to an overworked ftp site. It did work for a while but alas the
last few weeks it has been of no value to me and now I'm not even
able to log into the server.
It should also be noted that when the priority auth. fails, the message says
that anyone can point to ftp.redhat.com and get the same service, on a first
come first serve basis. Doing so produces nothing but errors.
I have since discovered that if I just keep clicking the connect button that
it will eventually connect.
point to ftp.redhat.com, where you do not need to authenticate to connect.
ftp.redhat.com is a site where any user can get the latest updates, which means
you may have to try for a while as the server is usually very busy.
I purchased the Deluxe version of 6.1 which is suppose to have 180 days of
priority downloads. Well 180 days have not gone by and I can't authenticate
on the server that I was told to use for the 'priority' server. This was working
a few weeks ago but now is failing. The only thing I can think of on my end that
has changed is I put on the latest PAM package. Has that broken the
make sure your username and password are included in the Update Agent
configuration. Otherwise authentication at priority.redhat.com will fail.
I am not (and should not be) authorized, but I used ftp.redhat.com last night
and it worked fine.
OK, let's start over.
I have a valid userid and password. which was supplied to me by
I put the userid and password in the up2date configuration.
That was in December. It worked fine, authenticated and downloaded
files into /var/spool/up2date.
When I opened this bug report, it had quit working.
When something that WAS working suddenly STOPS working and I have not changed
anything, then I expect a better answer than 'verify userid and passwd are
correct'. I had already checked that before opening this bug report.
in december, the system was *not* authenticating. Authentication wasn't turned
on; we were still in a trial period. Authentication was turned on in early
Authentication works here, and for other users, so one of two things is
1. you have mis-entered your username and/or password
2. there is some problem with your username and/or password, and they somehow
got out of the red hat support system. In this case you will need to contact
Red Hat Support to get the issue resolved.
This is not a software problem, and I am sorry if you have been lead to believe
so. Please try again this evening (as I said above, there _were_ some
authentication issues a week ago where legit accounts were being denied access)
and if you are still having trouble contact support.
I went back and read an email from Red Hat Priority FTP Service
Subject: CORRECTION: Access rules for priority.redhat.com
I changed my password accordingly and it appears to be working now!
I was mis-lead by the fact it WAS working. I didn't know the AUTHENTICATION
was disabled on the server.
Thanks for you patientce.