Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 832884
using rd.live.overlay.reset only works after a second reboot
Last modified: 2012-12-20 11:07:04 EST
Description of problem:
When resetting a live overlay with the kernel parameter
the effect only shows up the next boot.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
This was tested on the Fedora 17 live i686, but I think it happens for many other and older versions.
All the time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install a Fedora live on a usb key. Boot from it.
2. Create permanent new files (touch test.txt in terminal for example)
3. Reboot. Add the rd.live.overlay.reset kernel boot parameter for this reboot.
4. Check that the previously created file is still there (it should not be).
5. Reboot with the default boot paramter.
6. Check that the overlay has now been reset (the previously created file has disappeared.)
The overlay is reset by step 6.
Expected the overlay to have been reset by step 4.
I tried ti understand the problem by looking at
but I could not figure the problem.
If I zero the first 64k of the overlay file myself before a boot, it is properly reset during boot.
So my only guess is that dd is buffered in a way that is bypassed by dmsetup.
This would be either a kernel bug or the script might be designed differently or require a sync.
Created attachment 608335 [details]
Physically write overlay reset at time of request.
Tested to work in Fedora 17 x86_64 Live Desktop.
upstream commit 0db77f5a2b32ed0bc3587fa54bc078e286f16947
dracut-018-60.git20120927.fc16 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 16.
dracut-018-105.git20120927.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 17 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing dracut-018-105.git20120927.fc17'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
dracut-018-105.git20120927.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.