Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 833449
Alt accelerators do not work in GUI
Last modified: 2012-06-19 13:31:31 EDT
Description of problem:
The "Alt" accelerators in the new subscription-manager-gui menu system do not work and are misleading.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open up subscription-manager-gui
2. Use Alt+s to open the system menu (or Alt+h for help)
3. Attempt to use the alt accelerator of any of their sub-items. (eg: Alt+q for quit)
The alt accelerators do nothing for the sub-menu items.
Because the menu item has an underlined letter, you would normally assume that the letter hints at it's alt+accelerator.
There are two possible acceptable solutions for this:
1) Enable the alt+accelerator items so that they work as expected. I think this would be the best solution as many other gnome programs also use this.
2) Remove the underlines on the accelerator letters. Since every menu item also lists out its alternate Ctrl+ accelerator next to it, the users still have a keyboard shortcut they can use.
I could see arguments for either solution, but my vote is for 1).
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for inclusion
in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux release. Product Management has
requested further review of this request by Red Hat Engineering, for
potential inclusion in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux release for currently
deployed products. This request is not yet committed for inclusion in
Second level menus use single letter without the use of Alt. This is consistent with other programs.