This bug is created as a clone of upstream ticket:
2. What is the nature and description of the request?
Implement SO_KEEPALIVE in network calls
3. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Customer's RHDS being affected by lingering TCP connections that are not
correctly closed (refer to https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-44459).
From RFC 1122:
A TCP keep-alive mechanism should only be invoked in
server applications that might otherwise hang
indefinitely and consume resources unnecessarily if a
client crashes or aborts a connection during a network
With this implementation, RHDS would be more resilient to
misconfigured/problematic clients, at a minimum cost.
4. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional
Implement SO_KEEPALIVE in network calls.
5. For each functional requirement listed in question 4, specify how Red Hat
and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully
# netstat -tnpo
tcp 0 0 10.66.129.184:40223 10.64.10.12:636
ESTABLISHED 1337/ns-slapd keepalive (2740.13/0/0)
6. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat bugzilla?
7. How quickly does this need resolved? (desired target release)
8. Does this request meet the RHEL Inclusion criteria (please review)
9. List the affected packages
10. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if
*** Bug 711207 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This request was not resolved in time for the current release.
Red Hat invites you to ask your support representative to
propose this request, if still desired, for consideration in
the next release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
This request was erroneously removed from consideration in
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4, which is currently under
development. This request will be evaluated for inclusion
in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4.
automated egression tests covered in monitor test suite. Requires netcat [nc] to run.
$ nc -d $IP $PORT &
[mkubik@dstet-mkubik ~]$ sudo netstat -tnpo | grep ns-slapd | grep -i keepalive
tcp 0 0 ::1:389 ::1:43130 ESTABLISHED 6565/ns-slapd keepalive (6807.66/0/0)
[mkubik@dstet-mkubik ~]$ echo $?
[mkubik@dstet-mkubik ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i 389-ds-base
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.