Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 83534
GFlux (grab) causes X to freeze display
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:50:41 EDT
Description of problem:
I am reporting this against XFree86 rather than GFlux (grab) because I believe
that there is nothing a screensaver should be able to do to freeze the display.
Hardware: ATI Rage 128 RF/SG AGP
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF/SG AGP
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Fury/Xpert 128/Xpert 2000
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66Mhz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64 (2000ns min), cache line size 08
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Region 1: I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Region 2: Memory at de800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Expansion ROM at dffe0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities:  AGP version 2.0
Status: RQ=31 SBA+ 64bit- FW- Rate=x1,x2
Command: RQ=31 SBA+ AGP+ 64bit- FW- Rate=x1
Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 1
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Although not found via preview, I have been able to cause the problem via
screensaver preview. Select the GFlux (grab) saver and hit preview ... let it run.
From another system, ssh to the system under test and run top. You will see
gflux running and then disappear after a while. X will now be using 99% of cpu.
The display will be frozen and the keyboard unresponsive (can't switch to VC)
on the system under test.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
8.0.93 + rawhide as of Feb 4 2003
I can create this at will so whatever logs, etc. you need can be provided.
I tried running (GFlux Preview) on an ATI Radeon RV200 [Radeon 7500]. After
about 30 minutes, I gave up ... it does not have the problem.
On the system with the problem, it usually took about 10 minutes to happen (800
MHz P-III cpu).
The system using the r128 driver seems to have the problem. I could not get it
to occur on systems using the radeon driver.
Created attachment 89865 [details]
Created attachment 89866 [details]
Created attachment 89867 [details]
I believe this problem is still there. This has aged so long that I am closing
it and will open a new bug if (or when) I get around to looking at the problem
If the problem is still present, there is no need to close it. If nobody knows
a bug is present, then nobody will ever fix it. It's generally a good idea
to file bug reports in XFree86.org bugzilla also, as there's only 2 people
here working on XFree86 with limited resources. We can't possibly fix every
single bug reported, but we still want to know that bugs exist, and for them
to be left open as long as they are relevant. Someone out there might have
a patch, or have the time to debug a problem further, that we haven't had the
time to investigate yet.
I don't think I've had a R128 card plugged into one of my systems since
before this bug was even reported, to even attempt to reproduce the problem.
Before I'd close it personally as WONTFIX, I'd at least be making an attempt
to reproduce it myself and determine wether or not it is worth spending
further time on, be that debugging manually, or surfing through upstream
CVS for fixes. Plus, once I start testing R128 hardware again, I'll probably
be going one R128 bug at a time through bugzilla and trying to handle them
Also, since Fedora Core is now a community project, there are likely to
be more people out there spring up to volunteer to help reproduce and fix
problems like this.
So if you've lost interest in a bug, or no longer have the hardware, feel free
to update the report to indicate that, but please don't close reports
prematurely unless you can confirm a newer relase fixes them or somesuch.
I've tested an R128 card with DRI enabled to see if this problem still exists
in X.Org 6.8.2, and was unable to reproduce it. A few people in IRC also
were unable to reproduce with R128 hardware.
I think we can safely assume the problem is resolved in 6.8.2, and quite
possibly earlier releases as well.
If anyone can still reproduce this problem on an R128 variant however, please
reopen the report and attach your X server log, config file, and the
/var/log/messages file, and we'll re-investigate the issue.