Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 836559
Apper fails to install rpm when clicking on a link in firefox
Last modified: 2012-09-26 05:05:16 EDT
Description of problem:
I tried to install the rpmfusion repositories by browsing to http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
and clicking on the relevant links to install the packages directly via packagekit. Since I'm using kde as default workspace, the tool proposed to open the file is "apper". When I click ok to install the file, it pops up an error message:
could not resolve: file:///tmp/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
I have checked, the rpm referred to is really in /tmp. So for some reason apper can't decode the "file" uri.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start with a clean Fedora installation, install default kde workspace.
2. Start Firefox and browse to http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
3. Click on one of the installation links
4. Be sure that apper is chosen to install this file
5. When apper asks if you want to install the file, click ok
Apper shows an error message: "Failed to install file"
"The query is not valid."
"Could not resolve: file:///tmp/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm"
The file referred to is available in /tmp though.
Normal successful installation.
This is a regression from Apper 0.7.1 on Fedora 16. See bug 781726. It was fixed and now it's broken again on the new version.
I'm using firefox. For reference, these are the links I tried to download, and for which firefox proposed to open them with apper:
odd, I cannot reproduce this error, it seems to download, and open and install in apper fine for me.
on both f16/x86_64, kde-4.8.3, apper-0.7.2-1, firefox-13.0.1-1
and f17/x86_64, kde-4.8.95, apper-0.7.2-2, firefox-13.0.1-1
err, sorry, my f16 box had kde-4.8.4
I seem to have different application versions than you have:
I have tried with both an account that has administrator rights and one that doesn't. It makes no difference, the operation fails.
Is there some log information I can provide you with ?
ah, someone on irc poked me about this, and I think I see the problem now. apper fails to run scriptlets to register mimetypes.
to test, run as root:
and see if the problem persists or not.
apper-0.7.2-4.fc17 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 17.
These test builds implement the scriptlet addition I mentioned, fwiw.
Why didn't you file the F16 update and the F18 freeze override?
ran out of time yesterday, will do today.
apper-0.8.0-0.6.20120724git.fc18 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 18.
apper-0.7.2-4.fc16 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 16.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 18 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing apper-0.8.0-0.6.20120724git.fc18'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
apper-0.8.0-0.6.20120724git.fc18 has been pushed to the Fedora 18 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
apper-0.7.2-4.fc17 has been pushed to the Fedora 17 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
apper-0.7.2-4.fc16 has been pushed to the Fedora 16 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.