Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 838124
Updates disk does not work (invalid paths)
Last modified: 2012-07-06 14:47:31 EDT
Description of problem:
The anaconda that ships with Fedora 17 does not work with an updates image. The same updates image that works with F15 and F16 does not work with F17.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Unknown, the Anaconda that ships with Fedora 17. The bug is also evident from looking at the latest Anaconda git sources.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create an updates disk with updates_disk_hook.py or a custom installclass
Updates disk contents are ignored
There are several bugs at work here I think. I was able to find workarounds for them, but here is what I found:
- Previous Fedora versions extract the updates disk to /tmp/updates
- Current F17 Anaconda uses dracut (I think) to extract the updates disk to /
- The Anaconda executable (Pthon script) is invoked with CWD set to /root
- The updates_disk_hook.py script is imported from anaconda using the current Python path, which includes /tmp/updates, but not / or /root
- Custom installclasses are searched in pyanaconda/installclass.py (availableClasses()) via "installclasses" (relative path to CWD or anaconda script location, not entirely sure) and /tmp/updates/pyanaconda/installclasses
Anyway, to make F17 recognize my updates disk, it's necessary to manually move the components of the updates disk down to /tmp/updates.
The fix I think is to either change where dracut extracts the updates disk, or to fix up the (many) references in the anaconda/pyanaconda sources to /tmp/updates.
You should not expect an updates disk from f16 to work in f17. The anaconda sources include a script (scripts/makeupdates) which you can use to create an updates image -- that is what you should use instead of whatever you are currently using. Note that the anaconda source should match the version you plan to use the updates image with -- that means you should use scripts/makeupdates from anaconda-17.xxx to make updates images for F17.
I am going to close this report since I'm fairly sure it is not a bug. If you are already using anaconda-17 scripts/makeupdates and are still having the _same_ issues, please reopen the bug with details of the failure.