Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 838193
Rename dialog of Thunar does not work with accents when pt_BR locale is selected
Last modified: 2013-08-01 13:30:05 EDT
Description of problem:
If the system locale is set to pt_BR (pt_BR.UTF-8 or pt_BR.ISO-8859-1), then I can't use accents in Thunar rename dialog.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
The problem is happening in both XFCE 4.8 and 4.10.
I just saw this bug at Fedora. XFCE from Mint was working perfectly.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Change system locale to pt_BR.UTF-8
2. Rename or create a file
3. Type a letter with accent
The accent will not appear.
The accent must appear.
Everything works fine if the locale is set to en_US.UTF-8.
Might be this upstream bug:
but not much info there.
I'll dig around more for ideas...
Yes, the behavior is exactly the same.
It really seems that dead keys are the problem, since if I copy, for example, 'ã' from another dialog and paste it, then it works.
If you need any tests, please let me know. By now, a temporary solution is to use pcmanfm instead of thunar.
I've asked for more info on the upstream bug.
Some interesting: the problem does not occur with pt_PT.UTF-8 locale. I'm starting to think that it is something related with Fedoras's pt_BR.UTF-8 locale.
Something interesting: the problem does not occur with pt_PT.UTF-8 locale. I'm starting to think that it is something related with Fedoras' pt_BR.UTF-8 locale.
I think I found the problem. It turns out that when I remove the line
<property name="IMPreeditStyle" type="string" value=""/>
from ~/.config/xfce4-old/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml everything works!
I searched, but I haven't found anything about IMPreeditStyle. Everything is working well and I didn't notice any problem after removing this setting.
Just one more thing, Fedora's XFCE 4.8 does not let me remove IMPreeditStyle setting. It keeps adding it to xsettings.xml on every login. However, when I updated to XFCE 4.10, this problem stops when I removed the aforementioned line from xsettings.xml.
I've passed this on to the upstream bug for action.
Thanks for tracking it down!
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '17'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora, you are encouraged change the
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Fedora 17 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2013-07-30. Fedora 17 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.