Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 840224
Clock applet crashes whole of gnome-shell, error message about utf-8 conversion.
Last modified: 2013-08-01 02:49:41 EDT
Created attachment 598242 [details]
Changed dateMenu.js from /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dateMenu.js. Search for "//!!!" and find my two changes.
Description of problem:
Unsuspending the computer today, I noticed that the clock on the upper panel was stuck on the date/time as when I last suspended it. Trying to restart gnome-shell ("r" in run dialog) results in me being left without a window manager. Logging in/out and rebooting the machine does not change anything.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Every time TODAY (Saturday 14th of July), never before. Might be related to the date?
In .bashrc, I have set
as I don't like the american date/time format (the rest of my shell is set to en_US.utf8, as the standard norwegian decimal separator "," messes with some programs, and I don't like it either.) Saturday in norwegian is spelled "Lørdag" with a \oslash. However, running unset LC_TIME before trying to start gnome-shell doesn't make any difference - and anyway, .bashrch isn't run before starting gnome-shell through whatever-GDM-is-called-these-days.
kyrre ~ $ gnome-shell
JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Failed to convert UTF-8 string to JS string: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = '"("Failed to convert UTF-8 string to JS string: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input")@gjs_throw:0
JS ERROR: !!! message = '"Failed to convert UTF-8 string to JS string: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input"'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Failed to convert UTF-8 string to JS string: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input
Created attachment 598244 [details]
UTF-8 in gnome-terminal
Also note that there seems to be some utf8 problem in gnome-terminal, as running the "date" command (with LC_TIME="norwegian") yields the results shown in the screenshot. In a "raw TTY" (control-alt-f#) i get a square instead of the "ø".
However, writing a file in emacs containing the string "æøå" with UTF8 (little "u" in bottom left corner) works fine.
Finally, I had a lot of problems obtaining this screenshot, hitting alt-prtscrn would not give me an updated image (the window was as it looked like a few commands earlier, and hiding the window/flipping tabs in gnome-shell/etc. would not resolve it. prtscrn alone worked however.
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '17'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora, you are encouraged change the
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Fedora 17 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2013-07-30. Fedora 17 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.