Bug 84573 - Problems on Arbaic language support in GnomeDesktop or KDE
Problems on Arbaic language support in GnomeDesktop or KDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: mozilla (Show other bugs)
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Christopher Blizzard
Ben Levenson
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2003-02-18 20:46 EST by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:51 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2003-06-02 10:40:48 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2003-02-18 20:46:16 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830

Description of problem:
Arabic support is not present in redhat linux 8.0 es[ecially Mozilla, thought
I've set it during installation. Also in Browsing Arabic Webpages I find
problems reading these pages. Every thing written in arabic Webpages,.. files is

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1.setting the language in the control Centre

Actual Results:  the problem still exist

Additional info:
Comment 1 Rob Thorne 2003-05-08 17:09:28 EDT
I've seen the same thing with Hebrew.  Here's what I know about:

1) The default fonts installed by Anaconda for Hebrew (and I'd guess also
Arabic) are recognized by the standard Mozilla installer builds for versions 1.3
and 1.4b, and the languages display.

2) In the RedHat xft RPMs for mozilla 1.2 (I'm pretty sure) through 1.4b, you
just get the Unicode boxes for the characters of the Middle Eastern scripts. (I
think it even fails for East Asian scripts like Japanese as well, which works
fine with the non-xft builds).  Also, in the Font Preferences for Mozilla, you
will see that you get the "No fonts available for this language" string
appearing in the "available font" for each type of font under Hebrew (Arabic?).

3) Now install additional Hebrew (Arabic?) fonts.  I choose to install the RPM 
from http://culmus.sourceforge.net, which puts down .afm and .pfa files for a
number of Hebrew fonts.  These fonts mozilla detects.  It's possible that
installing PostScript Arabic fonts would work for Arabic as well.

4) But there's the following problem with 1.4b:  install the PostScript fonts,
and now the xft build crashes when you look at certain Hebrew sites.  This does
not happen with the non-xft 1.4b that is installed by the Mozilla Talkback
build.  [I will log this one as a separate bug].

Comment 2 Christopher Blizzard 2003-06-02 10:40:48 EDT
Sounds like it's just a missing fonts issue.  As for the problem with Mozilla
crashing with certain Hebrew fonts it's possible that you're stumbling across
this bug:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.