Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 851325
Move tooltip icon on System Reg Dialog more to the left
Last modified: 2014-06-17 20:21:53 EDT
Description of problem:
It would be nice if we shifted the tooltip icon on the System Registration screen more to the left, to get it closer to the text it provides information about. This would also pull it off the very edge of the screen in firstboot (although it may not run off the edge when firstboot runs fullscreen). The dialog has a fixed width, but when it is run as part of firstboot at higher resolutions, it ends up being even farther away from the text.
Is there a way to fix it closer to the text, so that it would be unaffected by the screen width changing?
Created attachment 606694 [details]
Created attachment 606695 [details]
Created attachment 657786 [details]
Updated screenshot, includes Activation Key work
We should try to ensure that both tooltip icons are aligned at the very least.
If we're able to do more, it would be nice to get those icons closer to the text that they're associated with, moving them in near the right hand edge of the text field seems like a good point of reference. The Default button could also stand to be closer to the field.
Created attachment 815182 [details]
New Firstboot example
Adding Sharath's image of new firstboot at a large screen size, I've shown where we could move the tooltip icons and button, and added a few comments in red and green. Red comments call attention to what needs to move, and green says what we should try to change.
It seems like those elements need a different anchor point, as the screen size increases, they drift farther and farther away from the rest of the elements they're related to.
Ok this is a bit confusing but here's what I did:
- Per https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=873967, I moved the tooltips closer to the fields they are relevant for, rather than aligning them with the "Default" button. This was requested but also seems more logical to me as these don't really have anything to do with the Default button.
- The default button should now anchor right beside the server textbox.
- Items 1 and 2 are actual firstboot considerations, they are not addressed as I don't think we have control over that left panel of firstboot screen titles.
- For 3, I have not addressed this, please re-open if this is significant. Personally, because this code is shared with registration GUI, I don't think it's worth adjusting as that will have unintended consequences there, and I genuinely don't think we should fork the glade data for the two situations unless we have a very good reason to do so. IMO the better approach is to just let the info aggregate at the top of the screen.
Changes as described in comment #6 are in subscription-manager.git commit 0c7a2488621d4400787e352d690a90d4919d9830.
Will appear in: subscription-manager-1.10.12-1
Tool tip relocation to the left was verified here:
VERIFIED: The Default button is anchored to the right and the serverurl field stretches to the right as shown here:
Created attachment 859253 [details]
"I will use an Activation Key" checkbox has moved to the right. Is this what we want?
Since this bug is all about widget layout, dgoodwin's changes introduced a relocation of the activation key checkbox that I don't think was intentional. Originally the checkbox was immediately below and left aligned to the left edge of the serverurl text field. It now appears centered to the dialog. Do we prefer the new location or want the original location restored?
I'd prefer the original way to keep it in-line with the left edge of the field, rather than indented.
Created attachment 859271 [details]
Tool tip on GUI and Firstboot
# subscription-manager version
server type: Red Hat Subscription Management
subscription management server: 0.9.2-1
Please see attachment..
1. As per comment 12 Activation key should be anchored tot he left
2. I see the tool tip on GUI aligned to the right and no to the text as shown in comment 11
Created attachment 862459 [details]
sub-man-gui-register-851325 with https://github.com/candlepin/subscription-manager/pull/907
(firstboot in rhel7 doesn't seem to like screenshots, but the dialog
looked the same).
Author: Adrian Likins <email@example.com>
Date: Wed Feb 12 12:18:49 2014 -0500
851325: Tweak activation key checkbox to left
Created attachment 865569 [details]
final screenshot of System Registration in subscription-manager-gui and subscription-manager-firstboot
[root@jsefler-7 ~]# rpm -q subscription-manager-gui subscription-manager-firstboot
This request was resolved in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0.
Contact your manager or support representative in case you have further questions about the request.