Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 85177
X sometimes messes up console fonts, leaving vertical stripes
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:51:39 EDT
* ATI RAGE XL chipset
Problem is intermittent, but mostly repeatable given a little patience.
Sometimes when switching to a virtual console, X messes up the console fonts
making most every character into vertical stripes. Looks similar to what is
described in bug#61325.
The console is still active, and you can type blind on it if you have to.
Things that reset the console font (such as logging in on a console), revert the
I have managed to reproduce this reliably (~50-70%) by the following sequence:
(In runlevel 5)
1) From the text console, run redhat-config-xfree86, change the resolution to
1024x768, and close the config tool.
2) Go to the gdm console and restart X (zap).
3) Go back to text console and run redhat-config-xfree86 again. Change the
resultion to 800x600 and close.
4) Go to the gdm console and zap again.
5) Go back to the text console. About 50-70% of the time you will see the
vertical stripe phenomenon.
Please attach log and config file. I've got a couple Rage XL cards, and
docs, so if this is persistent, I might be able to track it down.
<mikem> mharris: I cannot replicate with RHEL4
Ok, thanks mikem, closing as "RAWHIDE", which is the current