Description of problem:
"man ulimit" doesnt work.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: VERY.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. man ulimit
<standard input>:14: realpath on `bash.1' failed: No such file or directory
(plus some verbiage about bash builtins...)
documentation on "ulimit".
same problem exists on redhat 7.2.
I also receive the same error (which should be filed as a completely separate
bug). However, "ulimit" is a built-in bash command, and thus you should seek
guidance on the ulimit command by "man bash" and search for ulimit.
>I also receive the same error (which should be filed as a completely separate
just to clarify: should i do that? ie file a new bug report? just about the
>However, "ulimit" is a built-in bash command, and thus you should seek
>guidance on the ulimit command by "man bash" and search for ulimit.
right. i figured that out :) but...
i think that "man <command>" should give the user docs on <command>.
requiring user to grovel through huge "bash" man page for "ulimit" is not great.
it is pretty much totally unacceptable if the command is harder to search for
than "ulimit" (eg "set") but, agreed, that's a separate issue....
i was able to get the ulimit docs by ignoring that error message, realizing i
was being given a huge list of bash builtins and being told to "man bash", which
i did, then searched for "ulimit" via "/ulimit"... but this is not very high
quality usability! why can't "man ulimit" Just Work? :)
i imagine some users would be distracted by the error message, think that "man
ulimit" had simply failed, and not figure out the rest. that's why i reported
this bug. if the error message goes away, users will have a better chance of
finding the ulimit documentation. (though if it came up immediately, or if man
could jump to the *section* of the big bash manpage... that would be better still.)
You should file a bug report against that error message as it is not related to
the "man ulimit" doesnt work summary (it's a completely separate issue). I
understand all your other points, but ulimit isn't a global command - it's shell
dependent. As such, it may take different options for other shells.
This is fixed in current rawhide.