From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030210
Description of problem:
when upgrading to sendmail-8.12.8-1.80 (today's bug fix release) from
sendmail-8.12.5-7 (latest production release) fails due to even a minimally
changed config. Without harping on the fact that a bug fix release should not
have any other significant changes in it, this is expected behavior for an
upgrade of this type where the alias db format has changed.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run up2date --update on any fully current patched RH 8 machine that has
sendmail installed and where configuration changes (from default) and aliases exist.
2. See error
Actual Results: sendmail base package is skipped due to config changes.
Expected Results: It should upgrade.
The work around is:
0) run "service sendmail stop"
1) make backups of /etc/mail and /etc/aliases
2) uninstall sendmail via rpm -e --nodeps sendmail-8.12.5-7 (ignore error) to
get around dependency checking.
3) Download sendmail-8.12.8-1.80.i386.rpm from Red Hat's channel for v8 and
install it via rpm -i sendmail-8.12.8-1.80.i386.rpm
4) delete /etc/aliases.db
5) mv /etc/mail and /etc/aliases to /etc/mail.rpmnew and /etc/aliases.rpmnew
6) restore your copies of /etc/mail and /etc/aliases
7) run newaliases to create a new /etc/aliases.db
8) run "service sendmail start": if errors check diffs of old and new config
files from within /etc/mail and /etc/mail.rpmnew
This is due to up2date not doing any update if config files are changed, right?
That is a precaution for updates that can not be done unattended and you can
either change the up2date configuration or select installing this update.
Florian La Roche