Description of problem:
As in sawfish I need some window positioning features. Especially because this
is a multiscreen system, I need to control at least on which screen new windows
Metacity seems to behave that it creates the Window on the first screen that has
enough space for the window.
The following features should be implemented to ensure productive work:
1. Ability to save a window's current state:
- position on screen(s)
- window size
- window status (maximized, minimized)
- visible on all workspaces
2. Ability to release/forget the states.
3. Window placement behavior control:
- best fit
- under mouse pointer
- always on screen #
- always at absolute screen position x,y
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open a window.
2. Set it visible on all work spaces.
3. Close the window.
4. You need to set it visisible on all ws again.
Actual Results: Missing window placement control.
Expected Results: Having window placement control.
Some of this is planned, it's tracked on bugzilla.gnome.org. Specifically
auto-position-recording and some tweaks to placement.
For what is not planned you will need to use another window manager,
metacity is only a basic window manager.
See bugzilla.gnome.org bug reports for full discussion, can add comments there.