Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 86355
vim incorrectly wraps long lines for multibyte locales (UTF-8)
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:31 EST
Description of problem:
See the screenshot; the problem is outlined with red line. If the line
consists of multibyte characters (in this screenshot they are cyrillic)
vim outputs something that looks like escape-sequences.
The screenshot was made with a file in koi8-r encoding that was
automatically converted to utf-8 by vim. However, this seems irrelevant
as the same happens with files in utf-8 encoding.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a file with cyrillic characters and long lines that will be wrapped
(to ensure the appearance of the bug make a line solely of cyrillic)
2. Save it to disk
3. Open it again
4. Look for escape-looking pieces
Created attachment 90673 [details]
The escape-looking characters are outlined with red.
Can you please download the vim packages from http://people.redhat.com/karsten/
and test if they fix your problem ?
I've just tried; the problem persists just as it were.
Created attachment 90679 [details]
A small test case; try vi'ing it with ru_RU.UTF-8 locale set
I have just tried it in text console; it looked fine. However; in Konsole (KDE
terminal) this produces such output. Don't know if it is KDE's fault...
If the test case does not produce illegal output for you, I'll try to reproduce
it on another RH8.0 host tomorrow.
I have just tried it on another RH8.0 host; it works.
I have upgraded ncurses to 5.3-4 (from rawhide); however, downgrading it to
5.2-28 package (that comes with RH8.0) won't help either.
I can provide any additional information (RPM's installed, configuration
files) upon request.
Well, it seems that the cause is the update due to RHSA-2002:297-17 advisory.
I copied the /bin/vi binary from the host that was not updated and still has
vim-*-6.1-14; and that binary worked as expected.
I hope that helps to nail it down ;)
Problem doesn't look like a vim bug to me as it is dependent on which
terminal you use. konsole and xterm show this bug at certain terminal
widths, gnome-terminal seems to be ok.
i have done some testing here. less, cat and emacs does not have this
problem on konsole and xterm. If the problem does not appear with
vim-*-6.1-14, it seems a vim bug here!
cannot reproduce it anymore on a rawhide system, closing...