Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 867502
Importing topics and edits
Last modified: 2013-07-17 23:36:11 EDT
It would be a much nicer workflow if it were possible to do direct uploads of new and edited topics directly through the Web UI instead of using cut and paste.
It would be even better if PressGang could be integrated into some of the common XML editors either through plug-ins or other means.
Made comments private due to linking policy.
So is there going to be a button or other UI element that allows a user to do the import without needing to know the script? The work flow I was hoping for was:
1. I have a bunch of docbook xml files sitting in a directory structure on my machine.
2. I open up the PressGang IU.
3. I push an import button.
4. A dialog asks me what files I want to import and if they are topics or book files that need conversion to content specs.
5. I select the files.
6. The UI asks me if the files belong to any specific project or require any group tagging.
7. The data is uploaded.
8. I get a report that tells me the files were uploaded, the IDs and titles of the new topics in a way so that I can correlate the original file with the new topic, and then some notice about doing specific tagging of the new topics.
9. If there is an error importing a file, a report that makes it clear which files failed and why it failed.
I don't really think a shell script is particularly user freindly.
Created attachment 709300 [details]
Bulk Import Button
Topics can be imported through the UI in bulk.
1. Click "Create Topic"
2. Click "Bulk Topic Import"
3. Select the files to be uploaded
4. Specify the tags to be applied to the new topics
5. Click OK
6. The new topics are listed in the search results. If any upload failed, that file name will be displayed in an error prompt.
I'll update the code to add the original file name as an extended property.
Note that this process does not do any conversion at all. What you upload is what gets saved.
To clarify step 6 - you are prompted to open a new search with the topics that you uploaded. The URL that is opened if you say yes is bookmarkable, and so can serve as a "log" of the topics you uploaded.
Initial implementation in build 201303131322
Imported topics have the original file name extended property set in 201306171931.
When QAing bug fixes, please make sure the build you are using is equal to or higher than the build identified above. Be aware that this fix may have only been applied in PressGang Next at this time, or it may not be currently applied in any production system, in which case it can only be verified at a later date.